displayProperty in schema : where is my chip title?

Hello,

I am working on a mini pack.
Some of my chip title have disappeared:

or

The content is based on the same schema in both cases:

const PageSchema = coda.makeObjectSchema({
  properties: {
    path: { type: coda.ValueType.String },
    url: { type: coda.ValueType.String, codaType: coda.ValueHintType.Url },
    title: { type: coda.ValueType.String },
    description: { type: coda.ValueType.String },
    author_name: { type: coda.ValueType.String },
    author_url: { type: coda.ValueType.String, codaType: coda.ValueHintType.Url },
    image_url: { type: coda.ValueType.String, codaType: coda.ValueHintType.ImageReference, },
    content: { type: coda.ValueType.Array, items: NodeSchema },
    views: { type: coda.ValueType.Number },
    can_edit: { type: coda.ValueType.Boolean },
  },
  displayProperty: "title",
  featuredProperties: ["url","image_url"],
  idProperty: "path",
});

The displayProperty is defined but it doesn’t seems to work.

I know it’s a detail but i think the UX is important.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Have a good day.

1 Like

Hi @j.b_o - This is an intentional change, but one that we didn’t communicate so well and that isn’t fully reflected in the documentation. With the launch of two-way sync, having the display property in the chip was making it difficult to make edits to that data compared to other columns. So for sync tables we now:

• Hide the display property in the chip by default.
  • Always add the display property as a column (notice the “Title” column in your table).

Users can choose to show the chip title again in the sync table by opening the properties of that column:

Outside of a sync table (formula, column format, etc) the chip remains unchanged.

Let us know if you think this new behavior is problematic for your Pack, users, or use case.

Thank you @Eric_Koleda for these explanations.
The management and administration of this change seems correct to me.
This makes sense and two-way sync tables will provide great opportunities.

Concerning the chip, on my capture, the title is not displayed but I think it is a bug linked to the length of the title.

Along the same lines, I just have a comment about cards.

The card display is great and a good idea for certain types of content.
On the other hand, I find the inline/card administration makes me wonder.

It is possible to switch between card and inline in the block administration : views as.
Capture d’écran du 2023-11-02 21-35-56

Once on the card, it is also possible to change the display… For example to link.

However, once you have switched to link for example it is no longer possible to return to the chip display… Is this a problematic non-reversibility? It could be because we no longer have access to the formula either.

Just on thing, could it be usefull on the schema to configure the favorite display : chip or card? I don’t read anything about that in the doc.

Oh I see, the title is missing in the hover state. If you can find a way to replicate this let me know and I’ll file a bug.

This could be a bug or oversight on our part. One of the main reasons we built cards was to use them to upgrade links, and so I think we may have assumed that the path was link → card → link, but in your case it is formula → card → link. I’ll file something with the team.

You are correct that we don’t support this sort of preference today, but it would be a nice addition. I’ll file the feature request with the team.