Do comments last forever?

Is there any expiry on comments? Either because they become too many, or they get resolved, or just sit there fore too long? Just looking for some reassurance before I commit to using comments to track important information over years.

Can’t give a definitive answer, but I’ve never seen a comment disappear without being resolved. That said, I have a bias toward putting important information into rows themselves to try to make them more searchable, discoverable, formattable, and formula accessible. Open to hearing otherwise on that if other people have insight.

Why are you putting important information in your comments? What do you mean by important?

1 Like

Hi @Ryan_Martens,

You’re good to use comments. You have to deliberately delete them for them to go away. If you use “Resolve” instead, they are still available to view and just marked as hidden.

1 Like

Dear @BenLee,

Do you know if there is a way to “import” these comments and support data like “created by/on” in the main section of the doc?

This would be useful when evaluating staff on their input/activities :thinking:

1 Like

We don’t have that ability currently, but it’s been an idea that we’ve looked into. It’s not a scheduled project, but one of those that might get picked up at some point.

Actually, for the very reasons that you mentioned, at first I tried building system for making comments/notes that would automatically record the person who made the comment as well as the time the comment was made, but it became a little bit over-complicated, and I realized that the built-in comment functionality was more familiar and user-friendly.

Hey Ryan and @Connor_McCormick, I went ahead and created a separate request for the ability to index Comments, which I think would really help the usability of comments inside Coda, for a lot of what you describe here Connor:

Thanks for your time guys!

3 Likes

Adding to this topic, I’m still having the yellow underlines that denotes comments, even after those are solved. With this behaviour, I cannot understand which ones require attention without opening them or looking further.

If I solve something, I want it out of the way, so I expect a solved comment to have no underline, or, at least, not yellow. I can’t visually filter through the list. The underline could be removed altogether and that comment thread would only live on the history of that row, since their duty was accomplished and I have moved on,

1 Like

I think this behaviour has been fixed on the latest update. I am now able to completely hide done comments.

1 Like

The comments still need to be finalized.