Doc to keep track of employee notes

this feels like it should be very simple, but I’m having some trouble figuring out the best set up for my tables.
If I created a doc to keep track of my employees—(1) basic info about them, (2) my weekly notes about their work, and (3) monthly notes about our 1:1 check ins. I’m trying to figure out the best setup for parts 2 and 3. In those tables, would each row be a volunteer, with each column as a date? I know I could just use one canvas column for all the notes, but I want to be able to look at all of my notes for a given week–across volunteers—and all my notes for a particular volunteer, week-by-week.

I hope this makes sense!

Ariella,

For your notes, I suggest using either one or two tables, depending on the differences between your weekly and monthly note structures. If the distinction is just a column labeled ‘Notes’, one table with a column specifying ‘Weekly’ or ‘Monthly’ should suffice.

In your ‘Employees’ table, along with the standard contact information, you can add a linked relation column titled ‘Meeting Log’. This will streamline your data organization.

I’ve created an example for you in Coda. Please have a look and let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks, Scott. Maybe I’m missing it, but how would I filter in order to see all my notes for a particular week? I’ll give a bit of background info to better explain my use case, if it helps.

• I supervise about 25 individuals (but that number will soon be increasing). Over the course of the week, I jot down notes about everyone’s performance as I review their work or just incidentally. This could be noting strengths, weaknesses, things I need to remind everyone about, etc.

At the beginning of each week, I take a look at my notes for everyone and write a weekly announcement that includes general feedback, reminders, etc.

• To do this, I need to be able to filter by week and see all volunteers in one table.

Once a month (roughly), I have a check in with each individual to go over feedback.

• To do this, I need to be able to view each volunteer’s notes over time.

HI Arielle,

As we all know and appreciate, the beauty of Coda is in its flexibility. I go to the extreme of having (nearly) all of my information in a single table. But I make extensive use of lookup tables.

Here is an example of how you could do your requirement:

And here is a link to the doc. (Which would be complete overkill.)

It’s just a ramble,
Rambling Pete

1 Like

I added a few meeting filters. Hopefully that helps :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.