Feature Request - Indirect

Really enjoying Coda! One suggestion I’d like to add is something equivalent to INDIRECT in Excel and/or Sheets.

For an example use case, I have multiple tables in the same document referencing each other. This forces tables to have to be done like the table on top instead of the one at the bottom:

Being able to refer to the name of a column and use it in a lookup and/or filter would be great.

Now, you can sort of force the below table by using Groups - i.e. grouping the Weeks along the top and the Persons along the left, as follows:

While that is a good workaround, still think Indirect could be useful in a number of areas.

Thanks in advance for any consideration.

Edit: Grammar

1 Like

I would appreciate this feature. But the power of indirect isn’t just for dynamically choosing the column name, but also the table name.

This would allow a table column to reference data from not just a fixed table, but dynamically choose the table based on another column.

This allows much more flexibility in the data model space.

Example

table_car
ID, Desc
1, Honda Civic
2, Nissan Rogue

table_house
1,123 Newport Road
2, 457 Glenwood Street

table_owns
ID, person, thing_type, thing
1, Steve, table_car, Honda Civic
2, Victor, table_house, 457 Glenwood Street

See [How to dynamically choose table to lookup from?](http://How to dynamically choose table to lookup from? )

-Mark