Fetching the Canvas & format

Hey,
it would be cool to also be able to get content of a canvas in the future. Especially when having long texts.

This is a long shot but it would also be cool to be able to get the text including formatting like bold, headlines… Maybe an additional parameter like „includeFormatting=true". Idk how the formatting could than look like, plain html or some kind of templating language.

7 Likes

I agree that this would be a cool feature. Honestly, it could be in any format. JSON, XML etc… The other elements (tables, images, controls etc…) could be reference/links

I think that CODA is a great platform for pulling together and maintaining complex content. Allowing for the extraction of the content, opens up the possibilities for leveraging the content in so many different ways.

1 Like

Good suggestion! Currently you can only refer to the canvas in the CONTENT form of the Gmail button menu (which allows you to e-mail the entire referenced section):

1 Like

+1000!

Today I could have saved a few hours of work if this was an option.

2 Likes

I didn’t understand the tile first, but this is exactly what I need as well - programmatic access to fields data which has formatting in it. Or, to say it even more concretely - if a field has bold/italic text in it, currently the API will strip all formatting and just returns the characters - where as I would need to have the bold/italic represented somehow.

Markdown would be best.

+1
My teammate made a lot of efforts on formatting a text field in documents with beautiful style like bold / underline and italic, and i as a developer eventually find out there no way to get text format via coda.io API, we are really want it badly!!

1 Like

Please please please bring this feature in. It’s been over a year, and a simple implementation of this would be easy to make happen. I’m a paying customer on multiple fronts actually, so I hope this could come true.

The simplest way would be to add a quick formula that generates HTML: “foo bar baz bak”.ToHtml() => “foo bar baz bak”. Then I could make a column that would have the HTML formatted version of that field included, and access that column via API. Doesn’t need to support anything fancy, just standard formatting options of bolds, italics, bullet lists, headings. Fancy stuff can be added later.

Alternatively, add a query param to API fetches or some extra field to the JSON output for all fields that would contain the same HTML output, without having to muck around with formulas.

Or something - any way to access the formatted contents of a field programmatically, no matter how much of a beta feature it is that could disappear any day - changing code is easy.

Argh, nevermind! Apparently there was a feature added to the API, “valueFormat=rich”, that does exactly this. Just that there was no mention in this thread, or any of the announcements I’ve seen, or on the API changes list.

Maybe I missed it…

I will take this in to use, thanks.

1 Like

Missed that too, thanks for mentioning. I‘m excited to try it out

Hi Guys,

For People needing this function I have created a pack.

Check it out. You do not need to access the API. Just add the pack and use the formula in the pack. Simple.

Here is a sample doc for the same

Best Regards
Dhaval Patel