File controller in canvas

I’m making a form to feed an already existing (and working) table, which includes a file column.
The purpose of the form is to let the user enter data in a more confortable and controlled way. User simply fills the fields and push the “Save” button; then, data is transferred to corresponding table. I have done this several other times.
The problem today is that I can’t find a way to put a file in the form (a file field / control?).
Is there a way to properly handle this?

Hi @Giovanni_Sades , thanks for reaching out here in the Community! I’m having a bit of trouble understanding the issues you’re running into. Are you having trouble uploading files to the form you’ve created or something else? Would you mind providing some more details and/or a link to your doc, directing us to the issues you’re having?

Hi @Shaina_Torgerson,
I’m making a custom form (not a form view of a table) in the canvas. This form is made to collect data that will be included in a table (or in a combination of tables) when the user presses a button. The button runs actions taking data from the fields (text fields and calendar fields), making some calculations and inserting new records in existing tables. I have done this before and it has worked fine.
In this time, there is something different. One of the target tables has a file column type to contain a PDF document. I haven’t found a way to run the process I described not only taking text, numbers and dates from the form fields, but also a file. I mean, the text and numbers are entered by the user in text fields, but I don’t know how can the user select a file and place it in a container in the form. Remember that I’m not using a form view, but creating a custom form in the canvas using the elements available with the /controls command.
I hope this is more clear now. I appreciate your kind interest.

Thanks for providing that additional context, @Giovanni_Sades ! In order for us to get a better idea of what’s going wrong, we will need to take a look at your doc. Would you mind sharing your doc with us so we can take a closer look at the issues you’re encountering?

Afterwards, please send us a link to that doc in your response so we can can take a closer look for you! :smiley:

Hi again, @Shaina_Torgerson.

I deleted the page I’m working on, but created a quick example to better explain what I’m trying to achieve.
I hope it helps to clarify.

Hey @Giovanni_Sades! Jen here from Coda support. I’m not 100% sure this will do the trick for you but maybe! I worked up a different setup of your doc because I don’t think we have a way to upload a file in the way you have it. With this setup folks will have to input their data first then click the first button and then upload the file. Hopefully you can get a feel for what I did here but let us know if you have further questions!

Thanks for the workaround, @Jen_Anthony1.
Unfortunately, I don’t think this will work for my customer as they want something less error prone.
I would imagine that Coda will develop a file controller any time in the future. Maybe then I will be able to refloat the Coda idea again with them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.