Finding references to a given Column

Is there a way to find all references to a particular column in a table?

I’m doing some clean-up and consolidation within a legacy doc and I believe my refactoring of the data has led me to not need a particular column. Rather than just delete it and potentially break something, is there a way, like the Connections menu in Table Options, that I can see references to a given Column so I can adjust the references before deleting the Column?

Update:
Ideally, I’d like to right click on the column heading and have a “Find references” menu option available

7 Likes

I will often delete it, then go through all the buttons and columns of my doc to make sure there aren’t new formula errors.

Best way I’ve found to do this.

Would be nice if there were a better approach.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve done in the past @Connor_McCormick , but with this particular doc, I don’t want to be so disruptive to its use. I too am hoping there is a better approach.

The “Connections” menu in the Table Options is a path toward that, but it’s not that great. I can find references to the table that contains the Column in question, but I have to click through to each, open the formula and see if it references the Column.

Ideally, I’d like to right click on the column heading and have a “Find references” menu option available.

3 Likes

Yeah, that would be ideal. Maybe move this to the suggestion box and update your original post to explain what you’re looking for like you’ve just done?

3 Likes

Done! Thanks @Connor_McCormick .

3 Likes

word

Raising this from the dead just say, I am working on cleaning up and refactoring a mega-doc right now and this feature would have been really really handy :no_mouth:

2 Likes

This feature is definitely much needed

2 Likes

For anyone that has “liked” this idea, please also toss a Vote on it to make your “like” official. :smiley:

3 Likes