From on Gmail doesn't show the name properly

Hey amazing Coda Community,

I wanted to use the Gmail Pack to send emails but the from name doesn’t appear in full in the inbox of the person who I am sending it to. However, if I create a draft and send it from Gmail manual, it has no issues showing the full name.

If you see the screenshot below, the from person - in this case for test - is “Humankind Works Team”. The first email I created as draft then sent manually and it has the from name in full. The other 3 were sent using the send email function, and as you can see, the from only says “team”.

Am I doing something wrong? I tried looking for this in the community but I didn’t find anything, so I bet I am making a rookie mistake here. :sweat_smile:

Thank you in advance for any help!

Ana

Hey Ana! Hmm, this is interesting, would you mind sharing your doc link with us so we can take a closer look at this? Thanks in advance!
~Nicole

Hi @Nicole_Macdonald! I’m so sorry for just getting back to you now.

I created a test doc for you to check out because I already had some private info on the other one.

Thank you so much for your help! I sincerely appreciate it - Coda is so powerful but sometimes I just get into these tiny details that I just don’t understand.

If you need anything from my side, please let me know.

Ana

Hey Ana! Thanks so much for putting this test doc together, super helpful! It seems like we’re still on view only, so unfortunately we can’t inspect your doc elements. Would you mind enabling share with support in the share settings?

You can do that by going to the Share in the top right-hand corner, clicking the button in the top right (to the left of the “X”), and toggling on Share with Coda Support.

Thanks so much in advance!
~Nicole

Hi Nicole! So sorry - I have been terrible getting back to people in time. I shared the doc with Coda Support, should be working now.

Thank you so much!
Ana

Thanks for going through that share process, @Ana_Sofia_Pinho ! Can you please drop the link to your doc here?

1 Like

Hi Shaina,

Of course. Here you go:
https://coda.io/d/_dWpLgzkm2DT/Applicants_sulP9

I added it here in one of the previous messages, but it just created the embed. Sorry in advance if this was not what you wanted - I’m not very good with Coda sharing features.

Hey Ana! So here is what appears to be happening:

• When you add a send email button and click that, it grabs whatever is in front of the “@yourdomain.com” part of the email and uses that as the sender name.

• When you add a create draft button, it does the same thing, however, once it’s in Gmail, Google has an opportunity to first try to recognize the sender account, then autocorrect the display name if it is recognized.

So it looks like this is happening because Google doesn’t have a chance to make this autocorrection when you hit send directly from Coda. After experimenting with this, I wasn’t able to find a solution to input a custom value as the sender name within the Gmail Pack button settings, so I think your best bet will be to create the draft and then hit send from within Gmail if you want the name to show correctly.

Hope this helps clarify things! Definitely let me know if you have any further questions on this.

~Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Thank you for looking into this. I really appreciate it! :orange_heart:

Is this something that happens with everyone or is this just me?

1 Like

Absolutely! And I was able to test this in a doc of my own using different email addresses, so it seems like this is just the natural behavior of the Pack, not just you :grin:

~Nicole

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.