Granular Permissions

Hi Joost,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply! And apologies for apparently not framing my earlier post correctly.

I 100% acknowledge that this does not solve all of the use cases in this thread. However, I did want to share it as progress in our work to be able to securely and safely address those use cases. The ability to migrate full-pages of content to a new “container” with their own access/sharing settings is step forward in our technical capability to one day enable page-level sharing.

While this immediately solves for things like wanting to share a single invoice with a customer without sharing the entire doc from which it was generated, or sharing an RFP with a vendor, you are correct that it does not solve for cases in which you’d like the page contents to remain linked with contents in a broader doc.

If you’d like to know more about how we’re approaching this challenge, our Product Manager Nathan shared more details in this Community Post: Share just one single page? - #10 by nathan

4 Likes

Hello @Andrew_Stinger ,

Thank you for your reply and explanation. I am aware of the challenges involved for the next step and I am following the thread in which Nathan was posting.

Greetings, Joost

1 Like

@nathan is there any update on this feature? Do you have a concrete time line?

The topic has been on the wish list for more than 2years.

The cross doc stuff is complicated and error -prone.

Please come up with a solution with permissions on page level soon.

@jakobheuser and others — now that we have custom packs, I’ve built one for granular permissions on cross-doc tables. It’s not granular permissions on pages but it will enable most of those scenarios already!

4 Likes

Its kinda disappointing this has not been yet solved after such a long time, its one of the features that will improve usability of Coda (and simplify many docs, eliminating need for cross-doc which is really a bad solution for this problem in many cases) many times and make it viable for many more use cases…

2 Likes

Just adding another bump for granular permissions.

I am not a software developer, but still have some inkling of how technically difficult it would be to implement granular permissions in Coda, given its power and flexibility, and the need to ensure docs are performant even with thousands upon thousands of rows. It would not surprise me to be told that permissions are a lot easier to implement for Airtable and Notion precisely because they lack some of the power and flexibility of Coda.

So, this is not a complaint, just adding another voice to the ‘signal’ from the userbase that granular permissions are a (the?) top priority for many Coda makers. God speed Codans, we’re counting on you! :laughing:

3 Likes

I would also like to add another request in this area. I’ve been wanting to make a published doc that only shows data to users that the user is allowed to see. There are two problems

1. Someone can do @ and see any row in the doc and every person in the doc along with their emails
  2. I can’t just cross doc data from another doc because users need to easily edit. On top of this I need to filter using the User() formula (so that the current user only sees their rows) which does not work over cross doc
    Fixing one of these issues would solve the problem for me, but at the moment, they are significant security problems for what I’m trying to do
1 Like

More granular permissions would be nice.

Do you think it would work to use access permissions this way?

Another big vote for granular permissions.

Thoughts on implementation as follows:

• For pages - edit and/or viewing access controls per page. RE the Codan’s comment above, if elements of that page (tables, formulas) are reference elsewhere that’s fine, the edit/view controls are specific to that page and granted for each user in the doc).

• For tables - edit access per column/field (Airtable does this quite well, you mentioned other products taking shortcuts, what does that mean in this case? Presumably the edit access per column is on the master version of the table, which would thus be implemented like Airtable did correct?)

I have recently moved from most of my work from Airtable given the immense power and flexibility of Coda, by which I really am incredibly impressed and stoked about!
These granular permissions would really be the icing on the cake of an excellent product!

3 Likes

Sharing document will be helpful. It help others to know more about it.

Granular permission is absolutely a much needed feature, Any update on this?

This is one of my most difficult challenges when implementing for my clients, especially those who concern about permission and security.

Hi @Anthony_Thong_Do

What is it exactly that your clients are missing?

Cheers, christiaan

1 Like

Christiaan, I do understand the difficulties to implement granular permissions for coda due to the functionalities of the platform.

However, may I suggest just giving us the ability to hide certain pages from certain people. Fully unreachable… not like right now. That would already make a world of difference and have little technical complications I presume.

hi @Miguel_de_Rojas , welcome to the community

I am not working for Coda, only with the software, so my opinion is as much worth as yours.
However I believe that the solution you desire is indeed something Coda is working on. As you may have read in other parts, the company is not sharing anything related to their roadmap (if they have any at all), so we don’t know for sure.

Cheers, Christiaan

What is the latest update on this? Is it still something that is being worked on?

hi @Meagan_Groenendijk , it has been a while since we got feedback from Coda.

In general I would say that people with access to a doc have access to all info in a doc. If you want to make some info available to some people, you need to generate a new doc and link it to the source doc for specific data sets. I use webhooks and my own webhook pack (for free) to make this work, however I believe it should be solved by Coda natively and not by any third party pack.

Cheers, Christiaan

5 Likes

This is definitely a pain. My problem too is everyone being able to see each other. The work-around you’ve found is create the views right?

you can filter on users and thus show per user what you want to show, but most users in the doc will learn how to see the information by (temp) removing the filter on the table.

Again in a doc the leading principle is that everything is visible for everyone and so far Coda did not show anything indicating that they want to solve this issue.

Sorry to bring you the bad news, but this is it.

1 Like