Help with granting access to a google group

I have made some docs and would like to invite a group of volunteers to edit them. For now, I plan to be the only doc maker, although that may change in the future (if we can afford it). I would prefer to use the “grant access to a domain” feature, but as of yet the individuals do not have email addresses linked to our domain. We are waiting on our 501c3 status so that we can get access to google workspace for free.

I could simply invite each person individually, but I would like to be able to control access to all of our tools more easily. This makes it easier to remove people who are no longer affiliated and onboard new volunteers quickly. All 30 people are in a google group, so my plan has been to invite the group to have editor permissions. I’m having some trouble with getting it to work.

First: if I invitte the google group, will it look like there’s just 2 users (me + the email address for the google group), or will each member of the google group be prompted to make their own coda account?

I followed the directions for inviting a google group to a doc.

It doesn’t seem to be working, and I think it’s because I have no idea what this means:

Note : You or at least one member in your workspace must connect with Google Groups by providing your OAuth credentials to enable sharing with Google Groups. Once you or a workspace member provides their OAuth credentials, everyone in the workspace will be able to share docs with Google Groups.

can anyone explain like I’m 5? I like coda and can see it’s potential, but I’m finding the learning curve to be quite steep! Everything seems to require advanced workarounds and complex formulas when compared with airtable and notion. I have lots of other things I’m struggling to make work, but I will reserve those for a separate post.

thanks in advance.

Hi!

When you share a Coda doc using Google Groups, it will appear like the following:

As far as what this means…

Note : You or at least one member in your workspace must connect with Google Groups by providing your OAuth credentials t o enable sharing with Google Groups. Once you or a workspace member provides their OAuth credentials, everyone in the workspace will be able to share docs with Google Groups.

…have you ever tried to open an account for a new app, then that app gives you the option to create an account using Google, but first it opens a new tab for you to log in/authenticate with Google? Well the same thing will happen will happen for Google Groups in Coda. Said differently, you have to give Coda permission to access data from Google about which groups you belong to. Once that’s done, you’ll be able to use Google Groups.

Lastly, as far as why Google Groups isn’t working for you…I noticed that you said

We are waiting on our 501c3 status so that we can get access to google workspace for free.

Sharing with Google groups is only available for Google Workspace users. We don’t support sharing with personal Google groups (i.e groups with a .googlegroups.com extension). We also do not support sharing with nested groups.

So it may be better for you to wait to get your Google Workspace before re-attempting.

Hope that helps! :smile:

Thanks, James. We have a business workspace account that I used to make the google group. So the google group is @ my domain, but people’s individual email addresses are @ gmail or @ proton mail.

A follow up question:

Is it possible to share a doc with a slack workspace? ie grant anyone from a particular slack workspace editor permissions for a doc.

Hey Ariella, that’s not possible but a great idea. I’ve shared your idea with our product team and added it as a feature request. If it gets implemented, you’ll be personally notified by Coda. Let us know if there’s anything else we can do to help.

Best,
James

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.