Sharing and editing without a login

There is something simple that Coda can do to broaden its usage – this is allowing individuals to receive a link and edit the documents without logging in or creating a Coda account. Many external collaborators do not want to create a Coda account or share Google credentials for a one-off engagement or want to collect data from a broader group of people. Google docs already has this featured enabled. It makes sense that Coda follows suit and this should be fairly easy to implement given the advanced sharing abilities already included. If it is not implemented then some end users will assume that Coda is more interested in gathering people’s data than protecting privacy. I hope this helps. Kindly let me know if you have any questions.

32 Likes

Same issue.

Would highly appreciate if this could be opened up, otherwise this would be a deal breaker down the road for me!

2 Likes

I agree. While testing Coda for a project and prior to paying I noticed this. It’s a deal breaker for me. I’m moving onto something else.

2 Likes

Is possible to have a pre-fill form fields but not an link to share and edit the record?

1 Like

Yes I also need that function

1 Like

Yes, I’m looking for this. I’d pay extra to have this ability

2 Likes

+1 – I’m trying to start a broad online community of neurodivergent people. The more ways I can give them to interact the better, but I don’t want to require logins because that’s not accessible to a lot of folks. I too would pay extra for a “public” mode or something. Let my anonymous users interact with my reactions and buttons!

4 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this for couple of years already. It’s crutial to make Coda practical for business cases beyond internal usage. I have sooo sooo many abandoned projects in Coda because of this limitation. Many of my colleagues don’t use Coda because they work with external contacts who don’t want to have yet another login to contribute with a comment.

Team is no more a group of employees of the same company with same setup. Team is group of professionals using whatever they find valuable to allow them overachieve. And if they don’t like login in every single tool everyone uses, that’s should be totally fine with the creators of these tools (e.g. Coda).

7 Likes

started a project. just discovered. dealbreaker. have to rewrite somewhere - maybe google sheet :frowning:

5 Likes

Indeed, this is a total dealbreaker for so many projects - basically, everything that you don’t want to expose completely. That’s the reason Coda is not yet professional but only a loveable product. Once they sort these things out, people would start looking at it as an actual “helps me build my business” platfom.

6 Likes

This is a very restrictive limitation

+1
+1
+1
+1

+1

It’s still a shame to have no response from the Coda team on this subject.
Why no response?

7 Likes

Echoing all previous comments. This is a major functionality limitation. Code cannot replace google docs or sheets without this functionality.

8 Likes

I second this. It would be awesome to replace our ugly, huge Google Sheets with coda.

5 Likes

I was very excited to try this out for my team and my clients. It would solve a pain point we have for our User Acceptance Testing. However, it became nearly useless to me once I realized clients would need to have an account and log in in order to interact with the document. Most simply will not do that. I guess I’ll stick with my big fat Excel doc. :expressionless:

6 Likes

Yep - same issue here. Trying to create a form with some preamble text before it, but cant seem to do it other than by publishing a page, which means all respondents will need to create accounts.

I’m on a premium account at the moment, but thinking about cancelling.

4 Likes

@Roger_Marsh,

when i need to publish a form that has pre-amble text, i simply put that text into a formula as a quoted string so it displays on tbe form but cannot be edited.

perhaps that might work in your case?

max

3 Likes

A zillion up-votes for the ability to allow global editing of certain shared pages.

4 Likes

“Have you ever felt ignored?”

sigh…

We really need this. I’ve had 5 clients block coda projects in the last 4 months due to this limitation.

9 Likes

maybe we need to make fake accounts and all comment and really make the coda team feel it

1 Like

Hi Coda team, same for me, this would be very useful. can you please let us know if sth like this is planned?

4 Likes