How do I find an API token I previously generated

I have a number of API tokens that I’ve created and that have been created for CrossDoc purposes.

My challenge is that I can’t seem to edit, view or otherwise find information about an existing token from the accounts page.

I see the access that’s permitted and whether it’s to a given table, etc. What I can’t seem to find is the actual token value itself. It seems to only be available when it’s created. If I either forget to copy it OR, worse, I copy it then fail to paste it somewhere before moving on there seems to be no way to retrieve it again.

Any help on where to look is greatly appreciated :smiley:

1 Like

You can find the API tokens in your account page here, at the bottom:

related: CrossDoc: Create a new Coda API token - #3 by Johg_Ananda

You cannot see the tokens. You are given one chance to copy the recently generated token and then it’s hidden for security reasons. This is a common practice.

It’s up to you if you want to store the token somewhere into a text file or not.

If you need a token and you’ve lost access to the old one, you can simply generate a new one. The old one will still work wherever it is already used until you delete/revoke it.

P.S. It is generally a bad practice to reuse tokens in multiple places. Particularly with Cross-doc, it’s the best practice to make use of the per-doc-per-table tokens that are automatically generated when you drag a cross-doc table/view into a doc. Yeah you have dozens of connections in your account, but from security standpoint this is the best approach. Then you only manually create tokens for the applications that you are manually setting up, e.g. one token for a script, one for Zapier, one for Integromat etc.

3 Likes