How I explain Coda.io to my spreadsheet buddies. Would love honest feedback!

Hi Coda friends! I made a little graphic that shows how I explain Coda to my spreadsheet buddies. I heartily welcome honest feedback from the Coda community.

17 Likes

This is great - Can I steal it? :wink:

All I miss is ā€œBut wait, that is not all- you can alsoā€¦ā€

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. Feel free to use it! I thought about adding ā€œ+ moreā€ but I realized it might scare people. I feel like people understand docs, spreadsheets, slide decks, databases, project management apps, and messaging so if they can start using Coda because it has those 6 familiar things they will quickly discover the ā€œmore.ā€ Thanks again!

Also if you want to cite my Twitter handle @adoC_mama when you use the graphic that would be awesome too. I will go check out your blog written on Coda now. Thank you !

Thanks! I will definitely reference you.

Coda is one of those things where, to paraphrase a politician ā€œYou need to use it to see what is in itā€.

The whole is soooo much more than the sum of the parts.

R
P

2 Likes

I love it! Do you normally just send this graphic via email or share it in regular ā€œslide deckā€ :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: when sharing with your spreadsheet friends?

1 Like

Thanks for signing up for the blog, but it is dormant at the moment. Lots of stuff, including attending a coda training course which is really good.

1 Like

Hi Al Chen Coda!
I appreciate your reply. I am big fan of your YouTube channel. I really liked your ā€œTrack and optimize your credit card rewards for 2021 in Codaā€ video. I havenā€™t set it up yet but I need to do that. Anyway, I usually just email my spreadsheet friends. However, I will also send them your YouTube channel :grinning: ! I see a few of your videos incorporate Google Sheets-related topics. Thank you again!

2 Likes

I will keep an eye on it as you build it out. :eyes: :wink:

Love this! Awesome way to visualize Coda in one image.

1 Like

Thank you so much @justin !

Visuals are such a great way to communicate, so love this. If youā€™re interested in some feedback, my only suggestion would be to replace ā€˜Slide Deckā€™ with ā€˜Presentationsā€™ because it may make people think that Coda lets you make ā€˜slidesā€™, like those in Google Slides, Powerpoint, or Keynote. Sound right to you?

1 Like

Thank you for this constructive feedback. I updated the graphic to reflect your suggestion. It is interesting how the metaphors we use to describe technology can be both helpful for explaining things but then they can also be limiting (e.g. me using the phrase ā€œslide decksā€ :woman_facepalming: ). I like how Coda says ā€œitā€™s a doc that is as powerful as an app.ā€ The ā€œdocā€ metaphor welcomes you into the product and the ā€œappā€ keeps you building with it. Let me know your thoughts. Revised graphic below.

1 Like

Iā€™m copying my reply to you here because I accidentally replied to the topic and not specifically to your comment. Oops! Thank you @schan

Thank you for this constructive feedback. I updated the graphic to reflect your suggestion. It is interesting how the metaphors we use to describe technology can be both helpful for explaining things but then they can also be limiting (e.g. me using the phrase ā€œslide decksā€ :woman_facepalming: ). I like how Coda says ā€œitā€™s a doc that is as powerful as an app.ā€ The ā€œdocā€ metaphor welcomes you into the product and the ā€œappā€ keeps you building with it. Let me know your thoughts. Revised graphic below.

1 Like

Something Iā€™ve found that resonates with themā€¦ is that when using a spreadsheet you can get results quickly with little effort, and then as the sheet grows it becomes very difficult to get more out of the doc. The lookup formulas become convoluted and impossible to decipher and the joy of using the sheet fades away.

Coda on the other hand, is difficult to get results in the beginning (when you are first reorientation your brain to database vs sheet), but then as you grow its the inverse of sheets, you can get more and more out of the doc exponentially ā€¦ all of the efforts stack consecutively.

Iā€™ve found they can empathize with the bloat issue and then it ā€˜clicksā€™!

5 Likes

Yes yes yes! So good! Thank you for sharing!
From someone who always maxed out spreadsheets and found herself sitting in the lower right of your first chart. Still a relative Coda newbie but I am definitely starting to head up the curve on your second chart. Thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Yes yes yes! So good! Thank you for sharing!
From someone who always maxed out spreadsheets and found herself sitting in the lower right of your first chart. Still a relative Coda newbie but I am definitely starting to head up the curve on your second chart. Thank you for sharing!

I am seeing whether I can revive my Coda Education Community - I used you picture their - hopefully that will do the trickā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

That is awesome! Thank you @Piet_Strydom for using my little graphic. I will click on the community link now. Thank you again !

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.