How to describe Coda to friends?

Hi all!

I’ve been using Coda to manage my life (habits, tasks, scheduling, life goals, etc.) for months now, and I absolutely love it! The single best part is being able to create all of it myself via tables, buttons, and advanced formulas, but when I try to explain this concept to other people I always struggle to properly convey what it is and how it works (without visual demonstration).

I mean, should I call making formulas in Coda coding? Or should I say it’s just advanced formulas/logic? The creation process is so unique and user-friendly there’s nothing else really like it right now. I guess it’s like explaining what being a YouTuber was like in 2010. :sweat_smile:

How should I describe making things in Coda? Or even what Coda is? I don’t think “formulas” are technically coding but it has a lot of similarities. And saying it’s coding brings up a far more “The Matrix” kind of idea in people.

Ideas?

ChatGPT answer to your question:

Coda is a new type of document that combines the flexibility of a document, the power of a spreadsheet, and the utility of a database into a single canvas. It is essentially a web-based software application that can be used to create and manage complex documents with rich multimedia content, dynamic content updates, and interactive elements.

You can think of Coda as a single, unified tool that can replace many of the different applications you might currently use for different tasks. For example, you can use Coda to create detailed project plans, track progress on tasks, manage customer relationships, and more. With its ability to easily connect to various data sources, you can also create real-time dashboards, reports, and other data-driven documents.

In short, Coda is a document platform that provides a new way to think about how you work with information, helping you be more productive and streamline your workflow

4 Likes

Yes, thank you. That does describe what Coda is really well actually. Although it doesn’t really describe the formulaic part of Coda. Formulas in Coda can get pretty ridiculously advanced, but I’m honestly not sure if it would be considered “coding” or not, and if not then what?

Unrelated to the topic of this post: I’ve just heard of ChatGPT a week ago and it morbidly terrifies me. I knew AI was getting good but what ChatGPT can do is like future sci-fi level good (in my opinion). I mean when the internet came about, people gained the ability to simply look answers up on google, which was revolutionary at the time I’m sure. Now people can get entire essays out of AI??? Crazy!
And that begs the question… how will this impact society and what’s next?

I love explaining to friends and colleagues codas mantra of ‘one doc to rule them all’… because realistically we never need more than one doc to house pretty much everything you need… and when I say anything I mean anything! This tool is diverse in its ability to solve almost any problem!

1 Like

Coda falls into the category called ‘Low-code’, which bridging the gap between coder/programmer and ‘No-code’ that’s visual based.

On your question about “how will AI impact society and what’s next?”, the AI replies as follow :smiley: :

Artificial Intelligence (AI) has the potential to greatly impact society in many ways, both positively and negatively. Here are a few examples:

Positive Impacts:

• Healthcare: AI can help medical professionals diagnose diseases, develop personalized treatment plans, and improve the efficiency and accuracy of medical processes.
  • Education: AI can assist teachers in personalizing education for each student, helping them to learn at their own pace and in their own style.
  • Transportation: AI can help improve traffic flow, reduce accidents, and optimize energy usage in transportation systems.
  • Business: AI can automate routine tasks, improve decision-making, and enhance customer experiences.

Negative Impacts:

• Job displacement: AI has the potential to automate many jobs, which could lead to job loss and economic displacement for workers.
  • Bias: AI systems can perpetuate and amplify existing biases if not properly designed and monitored.
  • Privacy: AI systems can collect, store, and analyze large amounts of personal data, potentially violating people’s privacy.
  • Security: AI systems can be vulnerable to hacking and other forms of cyberattack, posing a threat to personal and national security.

As for what’s next in AI, some current areas of active development and research include:

• Explainable AI (XAI): Developing AI systems that can provide human-understandable explanations of their decisions and actions.
  • Generative AI: Creating AI systems that can generate new images, texts, or other forms of content.
  • Reinforcement learning: Improving AI systems’ ability to learn from experience and make decisions in complex, dynamic environments.
  • Multi-agent systems: Developing AI systems that can coordinate and collaborate with other AI systems and humans.

It’s worth noting that AI is a rapidly evolving field, and these are just a few examples of what’s to come. The impact of AI on society will largely depend on how it is developed, regulated, and adopted, and it’s important for policymakers, researchers, and the general public to work together to ensure that its benefits are maximized and its risks minimized.

1 Like

Thanks for answering my question Sathya! A quick search later and I’ve learned the differences between no code, low code, and high code. Thank you, I appreciate it!

The AI answering my question about the impact of AI is ironic. Funny!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.