How to Aggregate Values per Month/Week/Year?

I would love to have charts which aggregate values per time unit. Currently, I am not aware of a way to have a chart aggregate/sum values per time unit (week/month/year). Is there an easy way to do this?
Thanks, y’all!

What I do for this is:

1. Create separate tables with the aggregates I need.
  2. Create a button that populates the table, either by clearing the entire table and recreating it, or adding new entries as needed for the desired output metadata.
  3. Create an automation to click the button daily, weekly, etc as needed.

Then you can create report views of this generated data as desired.

Dear @Niklas_Benjamin_Muegge,

With respect for the time of the Maker and yours, by getting the closed result to your expectations, I suggest you provide a sample doc, screenshots with what you have exactly in mind.

Another way is to use a Coda template as start point and amend it in the way you want to see it. Pls. see this one: Event Data · Visualize your data with charts for inspiration.

This support article might be useful too.

1 Like

@Ed_Liveikis Thanks for your ideas. I was thinking about doing something along those lines too but I would love to see a simple and/or coda-native functionality for this, since this seems like something pretty basic/useful to many non-tech people. @Eric_Koleda are y’all already building something like this?

I understand where you are coming from @Niklas_Benjamin_Muegge but Coda is arguably not simple, and tables, buttons, formulas and automations are the bread-and-butter of Coda.

If you want to take advantage of other existing features, you could try something like this:

1. Add a new column to your table, Month.
  2. Make it display the month of the row, there are different ways to do this, e.g.:
    • make it a Date column that shadows the date value of your row in a formula, e.g. thisRow.Date, and then set the display settings of the column to show year and month e.g. Jan 2022.
    • make it a text column and do Concatenate(thisRow.Date.Year(), "-", thisRow.Date.Month()
  3. Group this new Month column along the left.
  4. Now you can choose other Rows you want to aggregate and Summarize them as needed:

And then you will have aggregates show up under each group. This may or may not meet your needs but a separate table is a more flexible and powerful option.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.