Help, I am still a Coda newbie! How do I add values from different tables and sort them by date?

Hi Coda Community!

I have 12 tables (one for each month) that list different categories of charges and the day each was debited. Now I would like to create a table for the whole year in which only the individual days and the summed debits per day can be seen. Does anyone know if this is possible? And is it possible to generate a graph from this?

This is how one of my tables for a month looks like:

Cheers,
Patricia

Hi @Patricia_Da_Costa :blush: !

I’m not sure I’m going to be able to help (I tried on my own but to be honest, I just “don’t see it” :no_mouth: ) but are there any specific reasons why you chose to go with 1 table per month versus 1 table with “all charges for the year” and then use views to create some type of monthly report ? :innocent:

Another question I have is what chart(s) would you need ?

In other words, could you tell us more about your doc and its goal ? :blush:

Hi @Pch :slight_smile: !

thank you for your answer. The problem is that it becomes very confusing when I merge the tables. But you are probably right that one table per month is not the most elegant solution.

The existing tables (like the one attached) include all the monthly expenses of our company. Now I want to get a per day table or curve for the cash flows in 2021. The main focus should be: Which payments are due in the next weeks and which ones are already paid? So in the table for the year 2021 all single days and the respective sum of the amounts for the day have to be there.

I hope helps a little further. Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Patricia

Hi Patricia,

Quick question if I may? - Why do you say it becomes confusing when you merge the tables?

Regards
Piet

Hi @Piet_Strydom !

We need to look at the individual tables regularly, evaluate if they are good and edit them. This works better if they are individual tables, right? Then you can title them, comment on them, etc…Or is there a way to simply merge the tables?

Cheers
Patricia

Well, this is kind of why I asked this :blush: …

You can rename views of a table as you want and it seems a bit more appropriate in what seems to be your use case :innocent: .

Here, in the sample below, if you want your per day amount, I don’t see any other way than by creating a table for the whole year (1 day per row) and then link it, in some way, through lookup to each and every one of your monthly tables.

This means that each months needs to be linked back after to the Year table and each calculation will need to have its own columns.

With views (see my second sample), in this case, you’ll still need to use a Year table (1 day per row), create a table for the Charges of 2021, following the same structure as you’ve used in your screenshot, except for the dates as they should be gathered through a lookup from the Year table (to select the date) and then, you can just create views of the table Charges of 2021 and filtered them by month :blush: .

Every charges you’ll add (every changes you’ll make) in any of the monthly filtered views created will also appear in the master table Charges of 2021.
The big advantage here is that you won’t need to link your Year table to multiple other tables (which will get confusing) as almost everything you should need should already be in the table Charges of 2021 :blush: !

In this first sample, here’s what I’ve got for your “current” structure :blush: .
(Both samples are “big quickly created drafts” and none of them might entirely answer your need :innocent: )

In this second sample, I’ve explored the use of views :blush: (Don’t hesitate to go through the pages and subpages).
It’s not perfect (didn’t have enough time), but it might give you some lead :innocent: …

I can add more info about one sample or the other (or even both) if needed :blush: !

Hope this helps :innocent: !

1 Like