How to send email containing link to expanded row of a table

I have a form. The form contains an email field for the person submitting the form.
When the form is submitted, I’d like to send an email to the form submitter confirming receipt of their information.
I’d also like the email to contain a link to the table row - with the row activated when they click on it, so that if they can edit any of the fields if needed, without having to first see the whole table that the row is in.

Can I do this? If so, how?

1 Like

Yes, it is possible. First you need to add a pack to your document:

Assuming that you’re using Gmail Pack, follow this steps:

1. Create the link for your row in a new column, with this formula: Concatenate(thisRow.ObjectLink(),“&view=full”). I called this column “Link to row”.

2. Create a button and in the action dropdown menu select “Packs”, look for “Gmail” and then “Send email”.

3. Assuming that the field with the user’s email is called “email”, configure the button like this:

• TO: thisRow.email
  • SUBJECT: “Some title for your mail”
  • CONTENT: thisRow.[Link to row]

If you have more advanced skills with Coda, try making one button with one formula:

Gmail::SendEmail(
  [User's private Gmail account], 
  thisRow.email, 
  "Some title for your mail", 
  Concatenate("You can see your response in this link: "thisRow.ObjectLink(),"&view=full")
)

Hope that helps :)
3 Likes

Hey @Sebastian_Zegada - thanks for you help!
I tried the link+button version & it mostly works, except that the concatenated ‘&view=full’ isn’t part of the hyperlink in the email, so it only opens up to the table, not to the expanded row.

Any suggestions?

1 Like

I tried the formula for combining them and get this error message.

1 Like

Oh yes I saw that in my tablet too, but when I sended the link it worked fine.

But yo be sure, wrap the fórmula with Hyperlink()

So, you should end with this fórmula:
Hyperlink (Concatenate(thisRow.ObjectLink(),“&view=full”))

2 Likes

There’s a missing comma :blush:

1 Like

I’m still struggling with this.
I can’t figure out where the missing comma is supposed to go in this example!

I’m struggling with this also. I tried to isolate the formula part, just to test this ending bit and this:
Hyperlink(Concatenate(thisRow.ObjectLink(),"&view=full"))
just gives me the row ‘title’:

I tried another approach, doing the concatenation in a text field, then copying that text field into a URL field. That opens the row link the way I want it to:

But I can’t get the formula right to send an email.
I CAN send a simple email, for instance this works

Gmail::SendEmail(
  [User's private Gmail account], 
  thisRow.[Proposer's email], 
  "Thanks! You've Given Us An Idea!!", 
"You can edit and review your idea card here:")

But if I try to add the link, using:

Gmail::SendEmail([User's private Gmail account], thisRow.[Proposer's email], "Thanks! You've Given Us An Idea!!", "You can edit and review your idea card here: thisRow.[Row Link])

the button is greyed out.
I’ve tried quotes before and after ‘row link’, just before, just after. I’ve also tried with and without ‘this row’ thisrow.rowlink vs rowlink and without it - nothing is working.

What am I missing?

Ok - I think I get it better now. I’ve got the basics working the way I want them. I used

Gmail::SendEmail([User's private Gmail account], thisRow.[Proposer's email], "Thanks! You've Given Us An Idea!!", Concatenate("You can revise and watch the progress of your idea ", thisRow.[Row Link], " here"))

Thanks so much for your help @Sebastian_Zegada

Sorry, I was out of town. I’m glad that you have the solution :slight_smile: .

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Yes, that’s because Coda detects it automatically. But if you send it in an email it should work just fine.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.