⁉️ How to set up tables for action tasks that are repeated for projects but I don't want duplicated

So here is what I’m trying to do [maybe incorrect to think this way] :

I have workflows (similar to WBS) that drill down to a table of organized action tasks, say for multiple client projects/services or routine work. The common tendency is to create a template of action tasks and apply them again and again to each client or for recurring tasks. As a result, you get a growing table of duplicate tasks for different clients/recurring work, which allows you to track metrics on progress, statuses, etc.

However, I don’t want to duplicate tasks and deal with this growing master task table but I want to keep the metrics. Here’s what I’m trying to set up:

I have a table that list unique goals/responsibilities and in the columns I link the stage, status, and corresponding action tasks from the workflow template. So for each goal/responsibility that is associated with the workflow I can see where I am at in the flow. However, how do I set up my tables to check off completed action tasks as well as still track individual goal/responsibility metrics?

TIA

Hi @Theresa_Aguilar

Could you present a « fake result » of what you want; and also the incoming table you’ve.

It will help to understand the structure of your existing data and the final dashboard you’d like to set up.

Thanks

Quentin

Hi Quentin,
I don’t have a concrete example so I created a diagram of my theoretical tables. Basically, if I have multiple projects in a table that are following the same workflow/series of steps (from the action task list), what is the best way to track (check off) these action tasks that are from the workflow template, since all my projects are sharing that template? I want to move each project task through my workflow but I’m not sure how to go about that. I need to track when tasks are completed, statuses change, etc.

I also didn’t include the duration, start/end date/time, which will vary between projects. Another thing to note, I will have other workflows that involve criteria being met, different paths taken, and going back and forth in my workflow map. What is the best approach to managing such factors?

Thanks!

P.S. I also could be overthinking this…so recommendations are welcomed.

OK @Theresa_Aguilar I think I begin to understand :slight_smile:

You have a master workflow (ABC) that you use for several project :! ABD TMX, XYM, etc… this is the same path for all project, and you want to have a dashboard table (in the bottom in your screenshot) with the current status of each project <-> where you currently are inside your ABC Workflow, right ?

The answer is YES, Obviously you can deal with that with CODA. We can even track when (and who has) a task has been validated, so that you can have a quick view to the “live” of your project within the workflow.

Please a few questions during I’m preparing something for you :

• First, did I well understand :slight_smile: ?
  • Second, Is your template “Workflow ABC” frozen, or is that possible that you want to include/remove step for a specific project (then it will not the same workflow…)

Yes! Sorry if it was confusing… I couldn’t frame it quite right.

As to your second question, my workflows will be dynamic because I know steps will change or get remove or some projects may not go through all the steps. This is where I may have criteria set (if/then conditions).

Thanks.

Let me finish my dummy doc and have your feedback to be sure I understand well, I’ll be done within a few minutes :wink:

OK @Theresa_Aguilar
Here is with embed doc my first proposal (to discuss for improvement)

• You create the table of your Workflow, with all informations (task name, stage, status, role, etc…)
  • You have your project table, with a column Current Task that is linked to Workflow ABC by lookups (so you can get the information (Stage, Current Rank of Workflow, Status, etc…)
  • I made some Start/next step/Last step button, and a progress bar.

Then, your project table is also your dashboard, where you can see, for every of your project, the current state, and update it directly.

ALso in your Worfklow table, you can have, per tasks, the project that are currently at that point.

CPT2211122146-1156x866

Can you give me your feedback and wishes according to this first proposal ? For sure I probably forgot some stuff you want.

Please find the embed doc here

Q.

Wow, Quentin this is amazing. You’ve made my request (and more) into a functioning doc.

Sorry for the essay…

As for feedback, I would like to create a canvas column in the Project Table to document the history/activity of each project (i.e, duration between statuses/process/tasks, who did what when, comments, etc.) - essentially a record. Or what would you recommend?

As for the Workflow Table, I want to create a master workflow table, which would have a column for Workflow Name (i.e., Workflow ABC, Workflow XYZ). I would also like to add a dependency column to ensure those task get completed before progressing to the next step. (Is there a way to block next task/step until all requirements are met?).

In addition, how would I incorporate if/then conditions, to determine which Process and/or Task to do or skip, in my workflow table for when my workflows are not sequential? On an appearance note, is there a way to visually display the workflow in a tree chart format (just curious)? On a metrics note, I would like to statistically track the duration of each task and other factors that can help me better schedule these tasks (similar to the canvas column request for the Project Table) and improve estimated project completion time.

Lastly, in terms of dashboard, this works great as an overview for Admin. However, if I have other team members working, I wouldn’t want them to see all the tasks, just their assigned ones (maybe just an overview to give a big picture of the workflow?). Also, how would you set up the transition (or checks and balances) to the next task when different people are involved? (Not just if the previous tasks are completed but may be a time delay before the next task is available?) What happens when something accidentally get checked off as complete when it’s not? Ideally, I want to automate as much as I can but how do you deal with the fallout when things go askew (i.e. triggers not working or incorrectly)?

I am very appreciative of what you’ve come up with so far. You’ve went above and beyond my expectations. Any guidance with what I mentioned in the feedback would be amazing if you have time.

Thanks!

1 Like

Let me have a look tonigth (french time). Happy that it fits your needs.

See ya tonight !

For this point, you can create a LogBook table, where you’ll track all action on buttons, and display a filtered view of this table inside each of your project canvas; I dont go in detail there, but you can check the Next Step Button and this gif :

CPT2211132132-1378x867

yes we can do that with giving some disable option to different buttons

Yes we can do that, you can have, in particular I’ve been working on svg creation, cause that kind of treechart are not native in coda.

To be honest, every thing you’d like to create is 100% possible with coda, but it requires a certain amount of time, and lots of question to be solved to think about all the use cases you may have. Not possible to completely deal with your doc creation inside this post, that was about a main point of your project :wink: I suggest you keep on creating your document from the basis I created for you, and ask specific questions :wink: I’ll also DM you in you need any further help, that would be more about a full doc creation rather than just a unique problem solving :wink:

Hi @Theresa_Aguilar,
litte complement

For the question you have regarding creating tasks for each project, you can achieve something like that. Create a tasks table, and when you create your project, you can select among all the tasks of workflow, and thn duplicate tasks to your project. Using lookups, you can then display the effective task of the project inside project canvas. (see page in the embed doc)

CPT2211140833-1228x912

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.