Introduce yourself!

Hey all! I’m Benny Lewis and I run Fluent in 3 Months, the world’s largest language learning blog, as well as the social media channels (YouTube, twitter etc.) related to it.

Even though I make content related to language learning, my background is originally in electronic engineering, so data science and relational databases has always been something I’ve used in one form or another, and have started to formalize it more in recent years.

Coda is blowing my mind in terms of its potential from the little I’ve seen of it so far, and I expect it to very quickly become one of my main tools for so many purposes (both personal and business related)! I see there are NY meetups and look forward to seeing some people there!

4 Likes

@John_Scrugham I am trying to implement your OKR sheet. I have updated the Objectives and Key results section. For some reason not all objectives and key results are showing on the OKR roadmap page. Any idea what could be going on? Do I need to refresh the tables somewhere to show the results?

1 Like

Hello Coda Community! I was introduced to Coda some time ago, but recently have made a conscious effort to really get to know and use it.

Looking forward to learning and contributing.

Matt

Find me on LinkedIn

2 Likes

I am very glad to come Coda Community! I was introduced by my colleagues.
I hope to learn more efficient tools in the coda community to improve my office efficiency

Huahao

1 Like

Glad you found the OKRs + Epics template.

Are you still experiencing issues? If so, feel free to share with support@coda.io and personally message me. I can take a look. Thank you!

Another New Yorker here. Look forward to meeting you @Benny_Lewis!
Hopefully we’ll have another Meetup soon.
@Al_Chen_Coda usually puts them together.

1 Like

Hi everyone my name is Scott Henderson my trading friends call me “Shooter” because I like risk…In short, I’m a student of the markets constantly striving for an edge. 1st, God, Family, Country, kind of guy with zero tolerance for moral turpitude. I call myself a staunch conservative because I believe our freedom is only a day away from its destruction. Were a country of laws so that is my foundation as well. In my past lives I’ve had various positions in freight, restaurant, web design, mortgage & banking, sales, marketing, management, and business. I believe knowledge is a foundation for extraordinary! Yet, I’m astute enough to know we are all only a day away from relevance. Keep that thought close, I find comfort in being a rogue scholar constantly striving to expand my horizons. Hence,the reason I’m here. Hopefully, Coda become a solution to what I seek which is an amalgamation of my mind…

1 Like

Been nearly twenty years since I’ve been their, but Rochester was were this seed was planted.

Nice to meet you Benny! It never hurts to know another data science guy…

1 Like

Hey everyone! :wave: I’ve been here a few weeks, but never introduced myself. I’m Sarah and the Pacific Northwest is my home. I’m a former athlete turned futures trader. I love spreadsheets, automation, backtesting, stats, etc etc. I originally came over from Notion -> ClickUp -> Coda. I’m still new to Coda but loving the power and flexibility of it and can’t wait to see what the Codans do next! :raised_hands:

8 Likes

Hi, I had never looked into Clickup until now. At first glance it seems that it allows to do everything Coda does but without the building and designing process. I’m curious : what made you switch to Coda?

I need more knowledge management tools, and at this point ClickUp is terrible with documents. Also, many things I want to just be records, not tasks.

I discovered Coda this week and I’m barely getting my feet wet. I work in the public sector and see the opportunity for my team to use Coda internally.

In my trial I would like to see if I can create two tables that share I formation dynamicaly. I want to set up a trigger that moves a row of data from table A to table B when a date in table A is x number of days greater or lesser than today’s date, or possibly when a check Mark is checked on that row. And I want the row from table A to be removed from table A.

Any suggestions?

I’ve looked at the CrossDoc video and that might work for what I’m want to do but I’m not convinced.

1 Like

Hi there @Noel_Lashbrook :grin: ! Welcome to Coda and to the Community :grin: :tada: !

There are quite a few ways to do this :blush: :

• You could use a time-based automation which would run every X hours/days/weeks … and add a condition, if necessary (Checkbox is checked or others…)
  • You could add a Button field to your Table A and make that button add thisRow to Table B and then delete thisRow. A time-based automation could push the appropriate buttons for you.
  • You could use a “move and delete” Button on the canvas and have a time-based automation that will push it for you (also).

Some of these possibilities may be more complex than others but it is doable :blush: !

Now, I personally don’t use automations a lot as they have their flaws (time-based automations can run “late” and there is no way to directly see if an automation is running or not) but how you want to setup your automation literally depends on your needs and what you prefer :blush: .

If you have troubles, don’t hesitate to create a topic in Ask the Community - The Coda Community :wink: .

1 Like

Hi @Noel_Lashbrook , welcome to the Community!

What you probably want here to do (or, what would be appropriate to do with Coda) is:

1. Create just ONE table
  2. Create a separate view of that table that’s filtered to only show recent and/or unmarked items
  3. Create the second view of that same table that’s filtered to show everything else.

Now whenever data changes or a day passes, you’ll see an item automatically “moved” from one view into another (hidden by a filter in View 1 and unhidden in View 2)

2 Likes

Yaaaaasssss!

1. I created a New Request table with a check box.

2. Created new view of New Request, and renamed to Old Request. Changing the name of the “new view of New Requests” did not break the parent child relationship between the two tables.

3. Set filter on Old Request checkbox column to filter checked rows.

4. Set Interactive filter on Old Request checkbox column.

5. Set filter on New Request to show rows not checked and set Interactivity.

The result: When I place a checkmark in checkbox in the New Request table the row essentially disappears from the New Requests table and now appears in the Old Request table. Conversely a new row created in the New.

I am overwhelmed with how cool this is!

2 Likes

Congrats!

For better clarity though I’d suggest that you don’t name your table “New Request” because it actually contains All requests, it’s just that some are hidden. You may not need it now but you’ll run into this eventually when you try to reference [New Request] in your formula and see that you actually get all the rows — because filters on the “base” table (not views) are purely cosmetic and don’t affect the dataset in that table.

Instead, copy your New Request table to make a view with all settings intact, then rename the table to All Requests and rename that new view to New Requests. That’s gonna be cleaner because you’ll be able to reference views [New Request] and [Old Request] in your formulas (e.g. [New Request].Count()) and get correct lists of rows, and then clearly get all rows when you reference [All Requests] table.

Remember:

• The base table always stores all rows, even if it appears filtered
  • Views only store filtered subsets of rows

Cheers!

Paul,

Yes, I see what you mean. I’ll play around with allRequests. I figured out how to create the New view but how do you make a copy? Is it as simple as /copy allRequests?

When you copy a table or a view (copy-paste with Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V or similar method), you create a new view that has all display settings of a table/view that you copy.

FYI when you do this there’s also a popup prompting you whether you want to keep it as a view or duplicate data and make a new separate table.

I see how the options of creating a new view versus choosing “duplicate data instead” are very different. And then I noticed the Paste Options to create connected views (new view) versus the duplicate data. I like the further duplicate controls that let you copy all or some or keep the connection to the copied table.