Introduce yourself!

I need more knowledge management tools, and at this point ClickUp is terrible with documents. Also, many things I want to just be records, not tasks.

I discovered Coda this week and I’m barely getting my feet wet. I work in the public sector and see the opportunity for my team to use Coda internally.

In my trial I would like to see if I can create two tables that share I formation dynamicaly. I want to set up a trigger that moves a row of data from table A to table B when a date in table A is x number of days greater or lesser than today’s date, or possibly when a check Mark is checked on that row. And I want the row from table A to be removed from table A.

Any suggestions?

I’ve looked at the CrossDoc video and that might work for what I’m want to do but I’m not convinced.

1 Like

Hi there @Noel_Lashbrook :grin: ! Welcome to Coda and to the Community :grin: :tada: !

There are quite a few ways to do this :blush: :

• You could use a time-based automation which would run every X hours/days/weeks … and add a condition, if necessary (Checkbox is checked or others…)
  • You could add a Button field to your Table A and make that button add thisRow to Table B and then delete thisRow. A time-based automation could push the appropriate buttons for you.
  • You could use a “move and delete” Button on the canvas and have a time-based automation that will push it for you (also).

Some of these possibilities may be more complex than others but it is doable :blush: !

Now, I personally don’t use automations a lot as they have their flaws (time-based automations can run “late” and there is no way to directly see if an automation is running or not) but how you want to setup your automation literally depends on your needs and what you prefer :blush: .

If you have troubles, don’t hesitate to create a topic in Off-Topic - Coda Maker Community :wink: .

1 Like

Hi @Noel_Lashbrook , welcome to the Community!

What you probably want here to do (or, what would be appropriate to do with Coda) is:

1. Create just ONE table
  2. Create a separate view of that table that’s filtered to only show recent and/or unmarked items
  3. Create the second view of that same table that’s filtered to show everything else.

Now whenever data changes or a day passes, you’ll see an item automatically “moved” from one view into another (hidden by a filter in View 1 and unhidden in View 2)

2 Likes

Yaaaaasssss!

1. I created a New Request table with a check box.

2. Created new view of New Request, and renamed to Old Request. Changing the name of the “new view of New Requests” did not break the parent child relationship between the two tables.

3. Set filter on Old Request checkbox column to filter checked rows.

4. Set Interactive filter on Old Request checkbox column.

5. Set filter on New Request to show rows not checked and set Interactivity.

The result: When I place a checkmark in checkbox in the New Request table the row essentially disappears from the New Requests table and now appears in the Old Request table. Conversely a new row created in the New.

I am overwhelmed with how cool this is!

2 Likes

Congrats!

For better clarity though I’d suggest that you don’t name your table “New Request” because it actually contains All requests, it’s just that some are hidden. You may not need it now but you’ll run into this eventually when you try to reference [New Request] in your formula and see that you actually get all the rows — because filters on the “base” table (not views) are purely cosmetic and don’t affect the dataset in that table.

Instead, copy your New Request table to make a view with all settings intact, then rename the table to All Requests and rename that new view to New Requests. That’s gonna be cleaner because you’ll be able to reference views [New Request] and [Old Request] in your formulas (e.g. [New Request].Count()) and get correct lists of rows, and then clearly get all rows when you reference [All Requests] table.

Remember:

• The base table always stores all rows, even if it appears filtered
  • Views only store filtered subsets of rows

Cheers!

Paul,

Yes, I see what you mean. I’ll play around with allRequests. I figured out how to create the New view but how do you make a copy? Is it as simple as /copy allRequests?

When you copy a table or a view (copy-paste with Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V or similar method), you create a new view that has all display settings of a table/view that you copy.

FYI when you do this there’s also a popup prompting you whether you want to keep it as a view or duplicate data and make a new separate table.

I see how the options of creating a new view versus choosing “duplicate data instead” are very different. And then I noticed the Paste Options to create connected views (new view) versus the duplicate data. I like the further duplicate controls that let you copy all or some or keep the connection to the copied table.

Hi! Wow, this thread is ooold, but I’m planning to spend a lot of time with Coda and in this community, so thought I should introduce myself.

I’m a voice teacher who needs to track payments and student progress, and also organize a lot of data about hundreds of songs. Eventually I hope to use it to organize a ton of other online business initiatives. But right now I’m just beginning and everything is pretty overwhelming.

I looked at Airtable and Notion, but Coda looked to be the most modern and future-friendly. It looks amazing. Airtable looks solid, too, but also kinda old and boring in it’s approach, and definitely more limited in it’s flexibility (but easier to understand for people who have learned a bit about databases?)

Before looking into software I just read a book on relational database design. I’m finding scant info, here in the Coda-verse, for people coming from the world of relational databases–it seems that everything is oriented more toward spreadsheet users’ perspective–it’s even part of Coda’s origin story–but it seems like an amazing ‘next gen’ database tool, too, so it’s too bad there doesn’t seem to be more tutorial content from that perspective, yet. But I feel like it will come?

It also seems like the way Coda encourages us to set up master tables can fly in the face of traditional database design, a bit. If feels a bit like ‘don’t worry about 1:n m:n relationships, and multivalue fields and calculated fields–just jump in and build it’–but sometimes too much freedom feels paralyzing.

The Schema series was really good, but even after watching many hours of official Coda video tutorials (e.g. the Schema series, some Formula Fitness, all the Elements, etc.), I’m still unclear about how much to plan vs just ‘dive in and build’–

Even something as simple as how to best set up ‘client names’ and how to reference them from another table feels pretty confusing and undocumented. Maybe that’s partly because Coda seems to be focused on coordinating teams more than ‘sales’ or ‘client’ scenarios in a lot of it’s use case tutorials–but this is also a bit too bad, because it seems like Coda could do so much more–like probably almost anything–and I don’t feel that my uses are that obscure, but… there doesn’t seem to be much about the deeper ‘building CRM right’ yet? Again, I suspect there will be eventually, but so far everything I’ve found re client info tracking is a bit too basic.

I’ve spent some time trying to build things, this weekend, and am quickly grasping how formulaically complex many of the seemingly simple things I wanted to do will be. I also feel confident that Coda will do them, once I learn the right frameworks to think about them with. But, boy, am I going to need help.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who read this. Excited to get good at this, as I think it will save me so much time in the long run–if I can figure out how to best design for this seemingly new/different database environment.

Happy organizing!

Courtenay

2 Likes

hi @Courtenay_Ennis , welcome to the community.
just responding to te part above in bold. The active Coda persona for the moment seems to be the project manager, team manager etc. However when you look at docs like these : Coda for small businesses, growing businesses - Coda you also notice a wider perspective.

I believe the “Team” focus contains important learnings, certainly on how to interact, meanwhile I mainly use Coda for business cases, fin planning, stock management and so on.

If you have concrete questions, a good start is to share a doc with the issue you face. As such we can dive into it. Screenshots alone are most of the time a bit too hard to understand.

Enjoy!
Christiaan

3 Likes

Thanks, Christiaan! Good point.

I will start sharing docs with questions, soon. Still trying to get more of a feel for best practises, but… maybe I do need to try a more ‘just dive in and ask for help’ approach.

Best,
Courtenay

2 Likes

Greetings fellow Codans!

My name is Reiley and I’m from Boise, Idaho. I love Coda, dancing, backpacking, floating on lakes, social justice, and building art to set on fire. )’( :fire:

My background is in farming and seed saving. I currently work as the seed production, data, and finance manager at Snake River Seed Cooperative. I have actually done every job that exists in the business at this point, so I can toot my overachieving :postal_horn: That’s what happens when you are dedicated to a small business!

In general, I have 5-6 coworkers and we work with 50 different farmers and seed savers around the Intermountain West. I assign seed crops annually based on grower-variety stewardship and our inventory that we record once per year. We currently have ~480 different seed varieties and mixes that we are tracking inventory, tracking variety details, growing, intaking, hand packing, and shipping to customers. We are also tracking the growers, and their many relationships to the seeds. I had no idea that I was building a “relational database” until I saw the comment from @Courtenay_Ennis ! Thanks for helping me to put a name to what I’m doing!

We began using Coda in August/September of 2020, and so far we have the following:

• Grower Hub (Where all 50 growers can access tons of information about their crops that have been assigned to them this year, as well as crop information that they have grown in the past. I built this in just 1.5 days this past January. It was insane!!)
  • Inventory Hub (Where we track seed packing, and packet information for all ~480 different seeds that we offer.)
  • Cost Accounting Hub (Where we have our financial meetings and some tables relating to sales, etc. We still use google sheets for a lot of our financial documents.)
  • Operations Hub (Where we have our many meeting agendas, our task table, and different views of our tasks.)
  • Employee Manual
  • Wedding planner (Because I’m getting married y’all!)

My next big project is transitioning our actual inventory sheet (900+ different “lots” or rows of seed) from google sheets into Coda. There are many different views of the data that I will create, including sales information based on the inventory weight of the seed. I wanted to do this last summer, but 2020 was such a fucked up year that it couldn’t happen until now. I am really excited about the transition! I’m sure that I’ll post questions more as I am working on that project. Coda has been a total gamechanger for us. I can’t imagine where we’d be without it. I’m excited to learn and offer advice to others when I can!

Have a good week!
Reiley

27 Likes

Wow that’s a really impressive set of tools you’ve transitioned over already, nice!

1 Like

This is so cool @Reiley_Ney ! Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

Hi all.
I’m Kjell (pronounced Chell, if your mind is trying to figure it out). I am from Norway but currently living in Ecuador with my Ecuadorian wife.
I recently discovered Coda while searching for an alternative to Airtable for a client and I must admit that I was blown away by the flexibility and the friendly UX. I have also been watching a lot of the educational videos with Maria (and colleagues) on your YouTube channel and find them very helpful and inspirational! :star_struck:

Thank you for providing this awesome solution for us!

5 Likes

This was actually helpful! :slight_smile:

Welcome to Coda Community and fell free to ask for any support: this place is full with extremely skilled and nice people! :handshake:

1 Like

Thanks, @Federico.Stefanato. Much appreciated. :blush:

Hello everyone,

i’m Alex and i jumped into Coda from Airtable. I’m an Aerospace Engineer and very very happy to join this great community as a new Codan :slight_smile:

I’m using Coda to track my job activities in order to improve the quality and reduce things to remember :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to Coda and its community, @Alex_Zitti! :sunglasses:
Greetings from a former Airtable enthusiast.

2 Likes