Is it possible to link to a specific place in a section (ie. a header)?

I was looking for way to link a specific place inside a section that is not a table or another section. Is this possible?

Add the option to link to a Header (H1/H2/H3). With link (ctrl + k)

Edit:Moved to suggestion Box.

10 Likes

Hi @Roar_Gjovaag,

Although itā€™s not exactly following the conditions (Not a table), I have created in the attached doc a sample how to be moved between different section at a certain location in the section.

According my knowledge this is the only way.

I am wondering how you imagine to be able to ā€œjumpā€ to a place that has no name assigned to?
Would be great if you could explain more details or refer to a place where such is possible :handshake:

Amicable,
//JP

Was expecting something like HTML href to the elements ID by setting a hashtag or something.

Or since the H1, H2 and H3 is static, I maybe the headers would be indexed .

3 Likes

Seconding this suggestion. I have lots of documentation pages with a series of headings (H1-H3). It would be rad to have:

1. Insert option to add in a ā€œtable of contentsā€ (MVP: all headings on the page, Phase 2: customized heading levels).
  2. Add in anchor tags via editor and control the table of contents manually.
1 Like

There is a way to make it work without using tables, but itā€™s far from perfect.

2 Likes

+1 for this feature.

My requirement is that if I create a ā€œHelpā€ section for a doc, it will likely be quite long and contain the help for all the sections in the doc. Therefore, in the Tasks section in the doc, it would be helpful to be able to link to the ā€œTasksā€ heading in the ā€œHelpā€ section.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say that this is on the shortlist of features that are coming up soon, but itā€™s definitely top of mind and has had a lot of talk around here.

6 Likes

Thanks Ben! Appreciate the team thinking about this feature.

1 Like

Any news?
Can we now somehow link to outline in section?

Tomas

A nice UX for this feature would be to allow entering ā€˜#ā€™ and have it suggest headers, and convert it to auto-updating link-style ref after choosing one, like @page-refs.

Entering either ##/### to access H2 and H3, or simply merging all H1/H2/H3 into a single selectable list with autocomplete would be fine (or both). It would be nice to include tables in the same page with non-empty titles too.

This would be really nice to allow navigating around larger documents without having to solely rely on the outline.

4 Likes

+1 for links to sections within pages.

6 Likes

+1 - would be a valuable feature.

4 Likes

@BenLee @mallika any chance that section headers could appear in the hyperlink autocomplete list? Iā€™d argue deep linking to a header is as if not more valuable than linking to a table (which is currently supported).

5 Likes

+1

In Dropbox Paper this is done nicely. See screenshot.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised that this hasnā€™t been shared previously, but Coda URLs adjust dynamically to where your cursor is in the doc. If you put your cursor on a header, and then copy that URL, the URL will always link to that particular header even if you make substantial copy edits in other parts of the doc.

Try it out - just move your cursor to different lines in your doc and youā€™ll notice that the URL changes.

4 Likes

Oh wow! Thanks for pointing that out. Coming from Paper I was looking for a cue in the UI ā€¦

I will share that as a suggestion to the team @Markus_Mayer-Roth!

1 Like

Thanks @BenDavis!

Stuffing it into the already existing kebab menu might be an option ā€¦

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-09 um 10.25.48

4 Likes

PS @BenDavis

I am really delighted with the responsiveness of this forum. :heart:

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad to hear that! Just to set expectations, my note doesnā€™t guarantee this will get shipped. But itā€™s helpful visibility for us no matter what.

2 Likes