Launched: Formula Tables Pack — Make Tables out of Formulas! 🤯

Okay, this is HUGE!

Every once in a while, a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything and Apple has been… uh oh, wrong speech :sweat_smile:

With no lesser bravado, let me present to you…

Yes, this is a pack that allows you to create tables dynamically
with a List-of-Lists formula!

Think of all you can do with it:

• set up transposed views such as your P&L’s with months as columns — as easy as this:

• combine multiple tables into a single view like all synced in Tasks and Calendars — like Notion and Clickup already can!

• Render any custom report e.g. to copy-paste into Sheets — like this one with “fake groups”:

• and everything else that your formula skills can let you do!

The Video:

:information_source:   The guide doc is also coming soon!

Cheers,
Paul

18 Likes

This awesome Paul! Thank you! I have a situation similar to combining multiple tables into one.

However, my syntax/formula isn’t quite right (each row in the formula table is a list of rows from each individual table I’m combining). Can you show the formula you used for the calendar example?

Thanks!

Sure. Here’s the formula. You have to combine the lists of values there:

List(
  List().Splice(0, 0, [Synced Tasks].Task, [Local Tasks].Task),
  List().Splice(0, 0, [Synced Tasks].Due, [Local Tasks].[Due date])
).WithName(M, Object("data", M.Splice(0, 0, "")))

And the orientation is Columns, of course.

I’m going to record a video on this pack now and release it tomorrow; I’ll go in greater detail how to go about it all. The next thing you can and should do is mix in references to actual rows from either table so that you can display them in the detail layout for the formula table.

3 Likes

Works great now. Thanks Paul. Can’t wait to see the video.

After playing around some, I was able to pull in the “buttons” from the individual tables (at the least the action) and create a main button column in the formula table that referenced the Action of each row. When clicked on in the formula table, I was able to update the individual tables (wish I could upload the video).

Basically, each button in the formula table can be customized instead of all one formula. I can see a way to create and manage a master button table. Pretty cool.

2 Likes

There are Coda Prodigies, Coda Ninjas, Coda Alchemists, Coda Gods, and there’s @Paul_Danyliuk
I can see so many use cases for this! Thanks again for sharing your genius!

3 Likes

Haha thanks! :sweat_smile: curious to hear all your ideas, maybe I’ll make them the basis of some of my videos!

2 Likes

Transpose and combine are by themselves killers.

But also the ability to create calculated summary tables like a Pivot with the actual summary fields being the values of the cells (I was using buttons to identify unique values of a field in source table with automations to AddorModify entries in a summary table that would then calculate the aggregates/summary fields). E.g.:
If this is your source table:
Now you can with a formula create tables that tell you:

• Who likes each fruit(s)?
  • How many people like each fruit?
  • Do we have double entries (2 rows with same person liking same fruit)?

You can use Group by, but you wouldn’t have the answers in a table that then you can then use (you could still get everything through formulas, but sometimes you want the summary table)

2 Likes

Oh yeah, that too! Thanks!

And also the opposite — expanding tables that have multi-relations (like, [Monica, Phoebe] → Oranges) into separate rows so that we can group on them, make charts etc. A very common need too!

1 Like

Transforming tables from “canonical form” to and from “transposed form” through a simple formula is indeed a VERY convenient feature to have, especially when you want to display data on a graphic (canonical is generally better) or on an easy to read table (transposed is generally better).

1 Like

The video is now finally up! Descript decided to never render me this one :slight_smile:

6 Likes