Launched: Personal canvas controls

As a team with 50ish editors and even more viewers, the lack of personalized views has been crippling for us, so this release is, as others have noted, utterly game changing. We’ve already gone though many of our pages and upgraded them; I’m over the moon about this. Thank you so much for listening to user feedback and working hard to improve your product, it is greatly appreciated!

8 Likes

:smiling_face_with_tear:

This is the best news I’ve heard in a long time!

5 Likes

This is awesome! Thank you Coda!

4 Likes

this will make coda a tool we can use over the entire company…
Also done with a lot of work arounds or duplicate personal pages.

3 Likes

Wow!!!
You solved a small problem I had in a document shared with the team
Thank you so much CODA
:clap: :pray:

3 Likes

One of my first videos that I published on YouTube (on my personal channel — CodaTricks wasn’t even a thing yet) was about a solution of how to make user-specific controls with the help of an auxiliary table.

I knew this day would come and never reuploaded the video to the new channel. Finally it’s obsolete!

There’s still a few reasons why you might prefer a helper table over a personal control: if you prefer that UI or there’s a bunch of cascaded calculations that’s easier to set up in table columns rather than named formulas. Or, for that matter, if you’re on a free plan and are saving up on canvas objects. But generally speaking, the trick is obsolete and this is what you should use now :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Interesting. This may solve an issue I had where I had filtered table on desktop and then just got filtered results via API, whereas I wanted all results. I had to set visibleonly to false.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

5 Likes

This is amazing!

Quick question: is there a way to set personal controls for someone else? Or is it just for yourself? I ask since I’ve built docs with multiple views for others who aren’t as comfortable with coda. So could I set it up for them or will I have to teach them how to do so?

Or if I set up one that is collaborative, can they each then just go there and choose to make it personal and then adjust?

2 Likes

@Karina_Mikhli

You have a few options:

1. Create a button with the SetControlValue formula that sets the personal control to the correct value for each user and instruct each teammate to click on the button.
  2. Use the “Starting Value” field to specify the value for your teammates. If they change the control value manually, you can reset the personal control value to the starting value by adding a ResetControlValue button and telling your teammates to click on that button.

I hope this helps!

3 Likes

Good to know about the Starting Value and the ResetControlValue formula — that answers some questions that I was about to ask.

Follow-up questions:

1. To clarify, if I click a SetControlValue orResetControlValue button, I should expect that the control value only changes on my version of the doc, correct? The only way to set the control value for someone else (without them clicking on something) is to make it collaborative?
  2. I have a select control that I created before this update and it was set to “Philippines”. Then I changed it from Collaborative to Personal. Another user then saw the value of that control was still “Philippines” even though the StartingValue property was blank. Is that expected behaviour or is that a bug? (I guess I expected it to do that before I read this post.)
1 Like

Yes. Thanks. I’ll have to play around with it.

2 Likes

@Ryan_Martens2

Yes, if you click a SetControlValue or ResetControlValue button where the target control is in personal mode, the control value only changes for your version of the doc.

Yes, this behavior is expected. I know it’s kind of clunky right now (sorry!), but due to limitations of the current implementation, there are some scenarios where switching from collaborative to personal mode will effectively have a starting value that is not reflected in the StartingValue property. We’re aware of this and hope to improve this part of the experience in the next iteration!

2 Likes

Huge dopamine rush in my brain. Now the cycle begins for the next Coda drop :slight_smile:

Adding a single control so far - so easy! Can’t wait to replace the old custom ones everywhere. No more procrastinating about adding filter controls! :partying_face:

2 Likes

This is a fantastic new update, thank you to the Coda team!

A few questions:

1. Is Personal/Collaborative ONLY for interactive filters? I don’t see a way to apply it to filters in the filter panel.
  2. Is there a way to set the default to be collaborative? Right now all new interactive filters seem to default to personal and I can’t find a way to change that.
2 Likes

@Chris_Doan Thanks for the feedback!

1. Is Personal/Collaborative ONLY for interactive filters? I don’t see a way to apply it to filters in the filter panel.

The personal and collaborative setting is only available on canvas controls at this time.

1. Is there a way to set the default to be collaborative? Right now all new interactive filters seem to default to personal and I can’t find a way to change that.

Unfortunately, not at this time.

Hi @Kelsey_Chan,

I am about to publish a doc, and had planned to set the canvas controls to “Personal” and to define a Starting Value.

While this works splendidly in the Editor, it causes all formulas (which are referencing the select control) to break (see screen shot).

The problem disappears as soon as I remove the starting value for the personal controls. Is that known/expected behavior on Coda’s part? That is, is the guideline that “starting values” shall not be used when publishing a doc? Additionally, for published docs, would you recommend “Personal” over “Collaborative” controls, or does it solely depend on the use case?

Thanks,
Nina

i might add that the intention in this case is that users access the published doc in play-only mode.

just in case that has a bearing on things?

max

1 Like

Hi, @Nina_Ledid,

Could you please share your doc or write into support? That behavior is not expected, so it’s possible you’ve found a bug.

Sorry about the trouble!

for published docs, would you recommend “Personal” over “Collaborative” controls, or does it solely depend on the use case?

For play-only mode, it shouldn’t matter. For edit mode, it depends on the use case.