Launched: Publish your docs as websites with custom domains

this is amazing! can this be used on a subdomain? or even a subfolder
eg: codadoc.domain.com
or coda.domain.com/codadoc ?

2 Likes

Folder most likely no, subdomain yes! I published my “hire us” doc at hire.codatricks.com and it worked fine (needs some tweaking though)

This is awesome - can you elaborate on how it affects permissions? Is it view only?

related: Publishing a Doc gives viewers direct link? - #13 by Johg_Ananda

1 Like

I have my DNS managed by Cloudflare, is there anything I need to be aware for it to be properly set?
I’ve followed the instruction and it ends up with 525 SSL handshake failed error.

1 Like

Sadly it wasn’t straightforward technically to do safely right now. In order to be able to use edit functionality you need to be able to login to Coda and to be secure that has to currently be on the Coda domain.

Hopefully something we can solve for in the future but it’s not a trivial amount of work and we know there are plenty of great use cases that work fine with view/play modes so wanted to get this out to them first.

1 Like

Just days after fiding a third party solution for a problem that have been here from day one, you codans have such strange tempistics ahahaha :slight_smile:

@Bruce_McLachlan at this point, in a while, i will consider this native integrations over third party solutions…(once better established with permission defined etc)

Is there any internal roadmap for integrating in published mode what we can have on normal edit mode? Like dark mode? or with this new custom domain feature, cross doc actions? Thanks!

P.s. me and @Johg_Ananda shared not a lot of time ago some worries about how to correctly implement published docs for the public, he listed them in a good way in his linked post, any idea about how those could/will be taken into consideration?

Great job team!

However it looks like this feature makes docs view only? How would this be different from embedding a doc in the html?

I’d love to see the ability in the future to use a custom domain but still require a login. As someone who uses Coda for internal documentation at a company, I’d love to be able to use a vanity URL just because it’s easier to read/remember/type, while not having to open up my internal information to the public.

7 Likes

:smile: @Codans This is hilarious update!

Who wants to publish a doc in which everything that’s hidden is exposed?!

Remove this link to source tables, please, and any of these publishing options will be practical.

3 Likes

That’s a cool use case - what is the deciding factor between typing in “coda.io” and navigating to a certain doc, rather than typing in a specific URL?

I’m genuinely curious - both from how it would actually work for your use case and your psych or feelings/emotions as you go through this, thanks.

(ignore this, meant to reply)

The main motivation for me would be to use a really iconic url, like productdesign.company-name.com as an entrypoint for “Company Name” employees to see all the resources they need as a product designer. That url is easy to type and is remembered by web browsers if you type it in often. And it’s also just a nice looking link when you have that page open. However, I don’t want the general public to see all that information, some of which is likely proprietary.

1 Like

Great start! Interestingly, the Public Bug Tracker example of codacustomdomains.io shows that we’re getting a bit more than plain “view only”: This example embeds its own form, allowing some input by users.

Edit: actually both examples use forms…

1 Like

But aren’t there already network features that you could implement which would reject access to the general public in a company-only domain name? Typically this is achieved with subdomains and appropriate access from inside the company’s network.

Hey @Sebastien - that’s right. When you embed a form into a doc, users will be able to submit in view mode. You’ll be able to see their submissions in the intake table in your editable /d doc.

1 Like

@Paul_Danyliuk:

I am guessing I can publish one Coda doc to a subdomain (codadoc.example.com), but can I also publish a second Coda doc to a second subdomain (anotherdoc.example.com) at the same time?

1 Like

Thanks for your answer @Glenn_Jaume. Any idea of when the edit feature will be released ? Even a rough estimation would help us on strategic decisions. We are building an application using Coda which ideally should be shared with customers under their respective brands.

1 Like

Yes, publishing multiple different Coda docs to different subdomains of a registered domain is supported

1 Like

I want to know this too!

I’ve been waiting for this. Thanks a lot team. I’ll give it a try. :smiley: