Launched: Trigger automations with webhooks

With webhook-triggered automations, you can set up a Coda automation to be run when an external app sends data to the Coda webhook URL. This allows you to run a Coda automation on-demand when a record changes within another application.

Setting up the rule

1. Select “Webhook invoked” as the rule trigger.Rule automation with "Webhook invoked" selected for Step 1
  2. Set up the rest of rule steps. You will be able to reference the webhook payload (JSON object) in later steps as Step 1 Result. For example, if the payload is {"message": "hello!"}, you can use ParseJSON([Step 1 Result].ToText(), "message") to get the message value.

Triggering the rule

• The rule is triggered when you send a POST request to the URL provided in Step 1. You will need to provide an API token with write access to the doc using Bearer Authentication.
  • You can create a new API token from Step 1 of the rule builder or use an existing API token. You can reuse the same API token to trigger multiple rules in the same doc.
  • If you provide a JSON payload in the POST request body, the payload will be available in later automation steps as Step 1 Result.
  • Documentation for the API endpoint

If you’re hooked on our webhook-triggered automations and want to learn more including tips and tricks, you can visit our help center.

50 Likes

I’ve been so waiting for this! Now to just figure out how to authenticate and start using this.

1 Like

Wow, this is great :fire: Amazing update !

1 Like

Question: so the webhook trigger can’t be limited to a certain table and/or page? You have to use the filter then to stop if from proceeding?

This is great! Thank you so much, I knew something like this had to exist (such a common use case.) I will begin tinkering with it, thanks!
Nate

1 Like

@Karina_Mikhli

I don’t think I fully understand your question. Each automation rule has a separate webhook endpoint associated with it. Anytime that webhook endpoint is triggered (i.e. anytime a valid POST request is sent to the endpoint), the rule will run. You can specify in the later steps what exactly the automation will do.

Let me know if you have any followup questions!

1 Like

THIS IS GOLDEN!! We have been waiting so long for this. Thank you. :fire:

When will it be available in buttons?

2 Likes

How would this work when a doc using this type of automation is copied?

1 Like

@Kelsey_Chan so does the automation and its webhook only apply to the table on the page where it’s created? And you can then further filter what triggers it?

One word: AWESOME! …

4 Likes

Hi Kelsey,

Can you help me on your OKR/Kanban Table application?

My associates and the owner of the CODA app are based in Germany. I’m based in Ohio near Cleveland. On the plus side, my friends and associates in Germany enter data in English, but when I select a Kanban Table column to sort alphabetically, or right click the column, the instructions are in German. Is there a way to make these ‘right click’ boxes read in English? Or, an easy way to sort the column alphabetically? Please advise.

Thank you in advance,

Tom Fuerst | US Business Development Manager | Industrial Solutions

31296 Bishop’s Gate Circle | Westlake, Ohio 44145

Northrop Grumman LITEF GmBH

Lörracher Strasse 18

79115 Freiburg | Germany

M: +1.440.502.7535 | extern.fuerst.thomas@litef.de

cid:image002.jpg@01D64489.3E70B370

I think it can be limited through indirection. The automation is where the business logic would be applied. Trigger fires → automation runs → automation determines what happens.

No way! I’m really starting to believe you guys have got access to my christmas wishlist.

7 Likes

This is great! I was just needing this today and poof!

3 Likes

@Dropify

The webhook endpoint URLs will be different, so you’ll need to make sure any third party services are contacting the correct endpoint and using the proper authentication. Here’s the overall structure

https://coda.io/apis/v1/docs/{docId}/hooks/automation/{ruleId}

For example, if your original doc with doc id 1EZ-10ugpv has an automation with automation rule id grid-auto-Hjq2i_lzTy, the webhook endpoint URL will be

https://coda.io/apis/v1/docs/1EZ-10ugpv/hooks/automation/grid-auto-Hjq2i_lzTy

If you make a copy of the doc, and the copy has doc id 2pm-10ugpv, the webhook endpoint URL for the copied rule will be

https://coda.io/apis/v1/docs/2pm-10ugpv/hooks/automation/grid-auto-Hjq2i_lzTy

and will require an API token with write access to the copied doc using Bearer Authentication.

4 Likes

@Bill_French can you give me an example please?

When I’ve used webhooks elsewhere (ie, clickup, Integromat, zapier), I was able to trigger the webhook via action, not trigger the webhook then apply actions/filters, so just want to be sure I’m doing it right.

Thanks.

I think I finally got it. So coda isn’t pushing out a webhook, it’s receiving one to trigger an automation.

Still super helpful but not what I need immediately, which is to trigger a coda webhook in Integromat.

Thanks all.

2 Likes

Awesome news. It’s exactly what I needed for my upcoming pack. Thank you.

@Karina_Mikhli you can use this back below for that. (Make = Integromat)

2 Likes

@Breno_Nunes Oh. That’s amazing and will try it out right away. Thank you!

@Karina_Mikhli : Pretty sure you can do that already. Hopefully this might help? Integromat is definitely a fav of mine.

Edit: Just saw @Breno_Nunes’ post - that’s a much better solution than mine. :flushed: