Let multiple people filter at the same time

We would like to set up a massive table of customer quotes in Coda and share it with sales + marketing. Is there a way for multiple people to filter the table at the same time without disturbing how other people are viewing the table? Similar to temporary filter views in Google Docs.

Thanks!

1 Like

Not possible currently - if its limited set of critieria people filter things on it would not be bad idea to build something on your own. Each user can create a record in filter critieria table and Country table will be filtered based on what user picked in. This wouldnt affect rest of the users.

Example below

Hi @Fiona_Lee :slight_smile:

I think we can actually make this work pretty easily for your use case.

What we will do is a insert into the URL a short string that basically allows people to edit and manipulate the doc live without saving or showing the changes to other people. If you’re sharing this with the sales team to let them interact but not edit, this should work well.

You’ll need to do two things:

1. In the sharing dialogue, set sharing on the doc within your domain to be ‘View only’ . People who need to edit the doc can be added directly.
  2. Add the string “viewMode=embedplay” to the doc URL after the ‘#’ at the end of the url. So, if your URL is “https://coda.io/d/Unacasts-Management-Team-Meeting-Template_drwLqrc1SWh/Agenda_sucJm#_luFl6”, the new one would be “https://coda.io/d/Unacasts-Management-Team-Meeting-Template_drwLqrc1SWh/Agenda_sucJmviewMode=embedplay#_luFl6

You can share that second url out with anyone who needs to manipulate the doc but not save it. All the functionality will be intact - filters, canvas controls, etc.

Let me know if that makes sense!

2 Likes

:raised_hands: Thanks Ben!!

Hi from Pinterest Ben!

Writing because I’m having a similar ask as Fiona here in the thread; want to share a Coda that can be shared to our Sales team, but each can edit the filters as they see fit without impacting view for others (that way multiple can use at the same time) But seeing your reply – and trying both ways – I’m not finding success.

In your post you noted that the string should go after the # in the URL, but your example you show it being inserted before:

1. In the sharing dialogue, set sharing on the doc within your domain to be ‘View only’ . People who need to edit the doc can be added directly.
  2. Add the string “viewMode=embedplay” to the doc URL after the ‘#’ at the end of the url. So, if your URL is “https://coda.io/d/Unacasts-Management-Team-Meeting-Template_drwLqrc1SWh/Agenda_sucJm#_luFl6 ”, the new one would be “https://coda.io/d/Unacasts-Management-Team-Meeting-Template_drwLqrc1SWh/Agenda_sucJmviewMode**=embedplay#**_luFl6

I tried both ways and folks in ‘View’ mode of the doc cannot toggle the filters at all it seems (note: my tests for View mode are from my personal Gmail, not within our company’s domain but I imagine a ‘View’ permission is the same for either?)

Thanks for any/all help here!

Hey @Fitz_Maro !

If you are looking to have each user utilize a personalized filter and they are signed on with a Coda account you can utilize tables as personalized filters

Rather than explain it all myself, you can just see this video by @Paul_Danyliuk where he breaks it all down!

Did you ever manage to figure this out?

Hey there!

The simplest solution is just to share a published link to your doc in play mode. That allows a near infinite Amount of people to interact with your doc at the same moment pressing buttons, modifying filtes, etc. Without any one users changes effecting another’s.

A published doc link Can only be used though when you don’t need your users to edit the doc itself. Published links in play mode by default are detached from you main editable doc in that the changes there won’t effect the source.

If you need your users to edit the doc then that option won’t work.

After that you can use the small native search bar at the top right of any table to filter a table. THAT is a user specific filter that won’t effect others views.

If you need to go further - the link I mentioned above to Pauls video is a good next step!

Hey Scott

Amazing! I simply missed the “play mode”-option. Thanks :pray:t2:

1 Like