Logic with Duration/Timers and time in a queue?!?!

Hi Community! A few quick questions for you. I need to calculate the following variables:

Time spent in queue: Duration between time issue was submitted and time it was marked as claimed
Time from claimed to: Live count of time spent in claimed, stop the clock when it is marked as done
Time to resolution: Time from submission to re-assigned to pod

I’ve dropped an image of the table I’m working with. I don’t understand how to compute any of the above values, as I keep running into boolean value errors. Thank you in advance for your help, I really appreciate it and value this community!

Hi @David_Willson and welcome to the Coda-Community,

would you please create a dummy doc and share it in this topic?
Then it will be much easier for me and others to help you.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely
Jannis

Hi @Jannis thanks for the quick response!! Here is the published doc: https://coda.io/@david-willson/help-with-duration-logic

Hi @David_Willson,

thanks for sharing. I just sent a request.
Screenshot 2024-03-03 100802

Sincerely
Jannis

thank you very much! should be good to go now – sorry about that!

Hi @David_Willson,

please check if everything works.
I needed to add multiple buttons and columns in order to calculate the duration values, unfortunately there is no way around that.

Sincerely
Jannis

Thank you so much for the help! It’s starting to make sense. For some reason, upon adding new rows, the “time spent in queue” function does not work, and in the already existing rows, the claim buttons are unmodifiable. Any guidance here?

Hi @David_Willson,

Question 1:
the column “[1] Time spent in queue” gets calculated by two values:
thisRow.[Claimed (Date & time)] & thisRow.[Issue was submitted (Date & time)]

If you add a new row and any of those 2 values are blank, it won’t be calculated.

Question 2:
What exactly do you mean by “unmodifiable”?

Sincerely
Jannis

Question 1:
It would be great if you didn’t have to manually input the time the issue was created, since that feels kind of redundant and effort intensive. Would you do this with the modified() operator?

Question 2:
You cannot click/unclick the “claim” button once it has been selected.

Another question:
For some reason, the time from claimed value in row 4 is counting down, while the rest are counting up. Counting up is exactly what we were going for, and ideally we could be counting up for the time in queue column as well, but I was wondering why row 4 would be counting down?

Hi @David_Willson,

Question 1:
there are different ways how you can put the data in, you can right-click on the column and select “Value for new rows”. Open the formula editor and type Now(). Now the date and time when the row was created will be used and put into the cell.

Another way is using a button, as I did in the example doc I shared.

At the end of the day I don’t know the workflows and processes in your company and because of that I can not really tell you which way is the best…

Question 2:
That is because I set a “Disable if”-condition.
I am telling the button to disable if the “Claimed”-Checkbox is true.

Question 3:
Yes, you are right, I just recognized it and changed the date and time values, so everything is working now. The problem was caused because the Claimed-Value was before the Submitted-Value. That’s why it counted down instead of up…

Sincerely
Jannis

1 Like

Jannis you are seriously the best. I cannot thank you enough… Coda is a fascinating tool and since I am new to it, its formula logic can be a bit hard to grasp at times. Than you!!!

Thank you @David_Willson, really appreciate it!

I felt the same way in the first few weeks, but if you stick with it you’ll get better at it day by day. And with the help of this community, you are not on your own and can learn from others.

Wish you all the best for the future!

Sincerely
Jannis

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.