Mail merge to PDF in Coda

Hah was just talking with some folks about this (how it would make a nice Pack).

I have a similar use case where I need to prepare nice PDF call sheets for shoots - I have a template that I then “mail merge” the data for a particular shoot into. The best solution I have today is to use Google Apps Script (I since migrated to a Google Cloud Function, but same thing fundamentally) to pull in data from Coda via the API and populate my HTML template. Here’s an example:

Happy to chat more if you’re interested.

Taking things a step further, @Xyzor_Max was able to get HTML embedded back into Coda too.

Some other Pack Makers warned me against digging too deep into PDF land, which I think is wise (better to print HTML to PDF)… I also wondered if there was some kind of third party document service with an API that could be Packified…

Anyway, all of this to say, I’m interested in this too and think it would be super helpful. Basically, the same way Coda can create published docs, or in the extreme, be used as a CMS for another frontend, it would be cool if it could populate templated layouts of some kind.

Edit: maybe this? https://craftmypdf.com/

2 Likes