MEGA TRICK: Dashboard design — Two columns, smaller charts

Yes I was able to set this up after the new releases, you have to play with it a bit but it works.

1 Like

Ah, I see thanks. Every time I clicked “Options” it looked like it brought me out to column settings vs chart settings, but was just a bit funky!

I can’t get titles on my dashboard graphs when they are in the Quick Style C fileds “Description”, “Subtitle”, or “Title”. The column title is visible above the graph in fields “Details” and “Overflow”.

@Paul_Danyliuk, I made a copy of your dashboard and created a new layout (Layout 2) for the dashboard. Same problem there. Can you tell me how you made column titles visible in your original dashboard?

Edit the layout, click on those fields and select Label position: Top. There’s a Coda bug that selects “Top” by default even if it’s not displayed — just select that option once again (see the video):

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Paul_Danyliuk, that worked!

@Bill_French, @Jean_Pierre_Traets, @John_Beaudoin_Jack, @Alexander_Menschikov, @agoodman, @Jaisil_Muttakulath_Joy, @Axell_Padilla, @Philip_Johnson1, @Bjorn_Hansell [and anyone else who reads this later]
Please click through to :point_down:

(2021-04-22)

2 Likes

Sorry, but I am not getting this as well as completely blind - a bad combination :wink:

I have put a simple workspace together in which I am extracting into a HLP table with one row the data from the reference tables.
When I am putting now a view together based on that table I have no opportunity whatsoever to generate in the detail view any chart, as I cannot access any table. I have been spending all day today to find at least some kind of a start … but I am completely lost here.

I know I am missing one big point but I cannot find that very point - any idea what I am missing here?

I have shared the sample I generated:

Thanks for any help!

Make sure that you make your doc public!

stupid question:
I am pretty new to Coda and this community - the last hour I have spent searching to understand how to make it but I am still having no idea, could you give me hint? Thanks!

All good! Should be in the top right corner of your doc under share.

Under Get Link you can change who has access

1 Like

Excellent, thank you - should be open now.
Thanks!

Nope it’s not. Can you share the link? Make sure it’s open to anyone with the link

Hmmm … I got no idea what I am doing wrong here. I used the embed function under share and made sure that it is open to edit … but apparently it is not yet. How should I use the embed function?

Does the link work?

Yep! The link works! thank you

The columns in your single-row Dashboard Table were text columns, rather than lookup columns. And your view of the Dashboard Table was a chart view rather than a detail view. If you turn the columns in the Dashboard table to lookups, and the view of the Dashboard to detail view, then you can see a chart for each lookup column within the detail view

Hope that’s relatively clear. I edited your sample doc to show you what I mean. I changed the ‘Service Products’ column into a lookup, and displayed it as a bar graph within your Dashboard detail view. Hope that helps!

Though btw, with Canvas layouts incoming, this trick probably won’t be necessary soon

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for your help on the layout!

With regards to the canvas layout coming in: I am part of the beta testing and find it so far pretty disappointing, as it has some limitation (don’t know what I am allowed to write here). I sure do hope that this limitations will be raised in the final version!

I will continue playing with this hack as it apparently has more flexibility, though it is much more difficult to set it up.

Thanks again!

Hey @anon26297861 , maybe you did already but if not: You can share your feedback and especially disappointment with the Coda team! This will help to make this a perfect editor. If you are in the beta, you should be able to type /feedback to open a ‘Editor Beta’ feedback form. You are definitely allowed to type anything in there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why is that, @anon26297861?

The only limitation so far is that the 2/3/4-column layout cannot go “full screen” and expand to fill the whole screen. Other than that, it can do everything that the dashboard hack can do, and actually waste less space (e.g. the charts are bigger in those columns vs what you have in detail layouts)

1 Like

… but that limitation is exactly what I mean. I have a workflow in which I plan for a week tasks via two calendars and that is next to each other simply impossible to do. I will send you a screenshoot via message and you know what I mean …

1 Like

You can share your feedback and especially disappointment with the Coda team!

Yes, I did that, of course - try to be a good beta-tester :wink: