MEGA TRICK: Dashboard design — Two columns, smaller charts

@Paul_Danyliuk why not making a Coda instead of a newsletter :thinking:

@Ainara_Bilbao
Maybe because mailchimps have better e-mails support and layouts
:speak_no_evil: :speak_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

Missing Priority matrix chart .

This is just a sample that’s closely based on actual work I did for a client. The goal here was to share this trick for others to get inspired and use this UI pattern for their unique needs. Including every possible kind of chart was never a goal here. The priority matrix chart is basically a top- and left-grouped table similar to the salesperson/gender crosstab I have in my sample (also there’s already a template for that.) I believe that figuring out how to display such a table within my template should not be a problem for any competent doc builder.

2 Likes

Clicking on the ‘columns’ option in this ‘Detailed view’ will crash the doc, not sure why. I tested it out on @Paul_Danyliuk doc and another small sample doc created from scratch
Edit: this is not crashing anymore

What columns option? I don’t understand what you mean.

Duh, I checked it again and now it is not crashing. I should have recorded a video. Did they fix it already? I was talking about the highlighted ‘Columns’ in this screenshot

Hi @Jaisil_Muttakulath_Joy,

If this happens again, would you mind writing into support using the “?” icon at the bottom right of your doc and copy over the doc link and any error code that shows on that page.

If you can create an example doc and post it here, we can check it, but if there is information you don’t want to post publicly, then sharing it with support will work.

2 Likes

Just thinking, a real dashboard could be made if you optimize the space:

2 Likes

Does this approach still work in 2020? I can’t seem to see the “Display” or other icons that you see after you toggle table and move your mouse to the left. I just see the normal table options:

1 Like

Yes — it’s just in a bit different place now. Click on Options and you’ll see it.

2 Likes

Yes I was able to set this up after the new releases, you have to play with it a bit but it works.

1 Like

Ah, I see thanks. Every time I clicked “Options” it looked like it brought me out to column settings vs chart settings, but was just a bit funky!

I can’t get titles on my dashboard graphs when they are in the Quick Style C fileds “Description”, “Subtitle”, or “Title”. The column title is visible above the graph in fields “Details” and “Overflow”.

@Paul_Danyliuk, I made a copy of your dashboard and created a new layout (Layout 2) for the dashboard. Same problem there. Can you tell me how you made column titles visible in your original dashboard?

Edit the layout, click on those fields and select Label position: Top. There’s a Coda bug that selects “Top” by default even if it’s not displayed — just select that option once again (see the video):

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Paul_Danyliuk, that worked!

@Bill_French, @Jean_Pierre_Traets, @John_Beaudoin_Jack, @Alexander_Menschikov, @agoodman, @Jaisil_Muttakulath_Joy, @Axell_Padilla, @Philip_Johnson1, @Bjorn_Hansell [and anyone else who reads this later]
Please click through to :point_down:

(2021-04-22)

2 Likes

Sorry, but I am not getting this as well as completely blind - a bad combination :wink:

I have put a simple workspace together in which I am extracting into a HLP table with one row the data from the reference tables.
When I am putting now a view together based on that table I have no opportunity whatsoever to generate in the detail view any chart, as I cannot access any table. I have been spending all day today to find at least some kind of a start … but I am completely lost here.

I know I am missing one big point but I cannot find that very point - any idea what I am missing here?

I have shared the sample I generated:

Thanks for any help!

Make sure that you make your doc public!

stupid question:
I am pretty new to Coda and this community - the last hour I have spent searching to understand how to make it but I am still having no idea, could you give me hint? Thanks!