Page level sharing

To anyone finding this thread with the sentiment that “Oh but Notion does this!”

Recently I learned it doesn’t.

Or actually, in Notion you can share your text (“wiki”) pages individually — but not database views!

They just don’t get shared… unless you also share the whole table, which — yes — means that whoever sees this page with a view can EASILY see the rest of the base table, i.e. it all gets leaked.

Or, in other words, Notion doesn’t solve the “I need to share a page with a client only containing tasks for that client” either!

This was honestly a shock to me because I was sure this was the one thing that Notion could do that Coda didn’t, and hence so many users were asking for this so fiercely. I thought Notion had server-side calculations to support that safe page-level sharing with all of the data, and that’s why its formula language was so primitive compared to Coda’s. Turned out Notion actually did nothing of that! Sure, I agree that sharing individual wiki pages with a single click is cooler than Coda’s “Copy page to a new doc” feature. But Coda is not so much of a wiki as it is for interconnected tables, and when it comes to tables, Cross-doc is far more superior than what solution exist there with Notion (replicating rows with Make etc.)

Sorry for the rant but actually had to defend Coda on this one.

As a hacker who’s been reverse-engineering Coda and deeply exploring how it works, let me just assure you that sharding a doc into pieces so that you could share a portion of a doc and not leak anything related is an extremely hard feat to accomplish when an app is built like Coda or Notion. It would’ve been a completely different product if it had that separation in its foundation. But as an insider I know that Coda is putting a lot of effort on figuring it out though, so please have faith and patience.

6 Likes