Shopify Pack - Create Variant Button

Hi! I’m running into an issue with the “create a new variant” button from the Shopify pack. Here’s the flow and step 4 is the issue.

1. Create Product button → returns “product id” and populates it in the product id column. Note that Product id is needed to create a variant. This works great.

2. I’ve automated the creation of a variant to run right after a product is created - such that the automation bot detects a change to the product id column and uses step 1 results to create a new variant. Works great.

3. I have 5 variants for the each product so I need the create variant automation to run 5 times pulling from 5 different rows with slightly different information. To accomplish this I created another automation → copy and paste the product id (that was returned from step 1) to the 4 matching rows. This also works.

4. This is the problem: The automation bot is not detecting a change in the 4 columns that the product id was added to - so I’m only able to create 1 variant per product.

I troubleshooted this by manually copying and pasting the product ID into the other 4 rows. The bot detects the change and runs the automation as it should, which is great. But when step 3 copies and pastes the product ID into the product ID column it doesn’t recognize it as any change.

I also troubleshooted formatting → thinking it was pasting as “text” rather than the expected “number” format. I created a “isnumber()” column and it is coming through as “true” so it is a number.

Any idea why this is happening or how I can fix this?

Hi @natalia_ohanesian,

Unfortunately I do not use the Shopify pack however the main crux of the issues stems from Automation so I hope I can help.

Given what you have described and what I can see from the pack description I have gone ahead and created this solution. I appreciate that it will not match what you have but I hope that it closely emulates it and can provide inspiration.

As mentioned in the doc, I believe what you need is FormulaMap(). Think of it as a loop function. This allows you to provide a list and do something for each item. In this case it is a filtered table but it can be a written list.

More info on this formula can be found here:

I have published the doc so you can make your own copy for testing (automation does not work for previews/play mode). Please access it on this link: https://coda.io/@dale-cowling/natalia-ohanesian-shopify-pack-create-variant-button

If this is not accurate and you need further help please post screenshots of your existing automations, button formulas, and, if possible, some sanitised screenshots of your tables.

Best wishes

Dale

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.