[SOLVED]Use a conditional format as a source of data

Say I have a conditional format which makes a cell green when the value inside it is equal to the value of a cell in another column. Can I count how many cells are green in that column in a formula?

I think you can‘t count, how many cells are affected by a conditional formatting, but you can use the condition itself in a formula as a filter and then count it.

E.g. if your condition is „numer = 3“ then you could make a formula outside the table with
=tablename.filter(number = 3).count()

In your case it should work with columnA = columnB, but I‘m not on a desktop right now to try it.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply! I thought of that but I have multiple different conditions that evalute to a green background on my project. I’ll mark this as solved though cause your answer is effectively it.

1 Like

If you wanted to make it easier to detect those multiple conditions, you could make a new column that aggregates the filter formulas.
E.g. right now you may have a Conditional Format that looks like this:
Where if a Column has “a” in it, then format it.
Aggregating this would look like:

The template is:
CountIf(thisRow.[Column 1].List(),CurrentValue="a") + CountIf(thisRow.[Column 2].List(),CurrentValue="a")

If I’m having trouble solving something, my general rule is to add a new column to the source table and think how that new column could do what I need it to do. If that doesn’t work I’ll try creating a new table.