Sorting results per points within divisions

Hi all.

I thought I had it figured out but I was wrong.
I have a table of school bands with a select list column called Divisions, with 1st division brass band, 1st division wind band, 2nd division brass band, and so on. Each division contains between two and eight bands. I only want the points to be entered manually, everything else should be done by formulas.
So I am trying to figure out a way of sorting each division separately based on how many points each band is awarded in addition to assigning 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. place.
For example:
Band B, 1st brass, 97 points, 1(st place)
Band A, 1st brass, 94 points, 2(nd place)
Band C, 1st brass, 90 points, 3
Band F, 2nd brass, 98 points, 1
Band H, 2nd brass, 93 points, 2
etc.

This will ideally end up as a list sorted by division and then by points in descending order and assigned a number based on the order.

Is this possible?

Hi @Kjell_Anders_Pettersen welcome to coda !
If I understand well your point, here is the solution :

You have a table with bands. You must enter band’s division and their points. Then you reach unsorted data like this

Then use Rank function applied to Points data, but with filtering your table according to thisRow divison, so that you will rank your band on separate divisons

Then, group your data by division, and sort them by rank ascending

And You’ll get some cool digest rank !

Hope this helps !

Quentin

2 Likes

@Quentin_Morel! It looks like you understood my poor excuse for an explanation perfectly! Thank you so much for taking the time to set up examples and formulas. I greatly appreciate it! :star_struck:

1 Like

Hey @Kjell_Anders_Pettersen !
Coda is better with example :wink: happy to be helping ! See you in another post !

Quentin

1 Like

I agree 100%. I am not completely new to Coda but more complex formulas still confuse me, and especially in those cases the community usually is an oasis of support.
Thanks again!

Yes, lot of people here ready to help !
Please do not hesitate to reach out if needed :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.