[Updated]Coda, Notion, Airtable and the future looks like

@Paul_Danyliuk, I would say to this that there is definitely a need for these tools to become more “no-code.”
@Juan_Luis_Chulilla I think you’re talking about probably a lot of users like me: I’m a manager of a tech/internet start-up, technical, but not adept with formulas, and not able to spend time to learn them. But I’m the lead in my company who is undertaking getting us on the best solutions for everything we need. And these needs are increasingly handled by cloud-based apps, per my post:

What I found interesting with Fibery - and I have not see anything that does this so well - is an ease to set up a domain that is truly custom to the user, but tailored for Team Management. Tools like Notion and Zenkit are way too general, and in fact are not at all easy to set up for a team! I would really like to see Coda take a lead here as well.

It’s now a big problem for start-ups like mine to manage stuff proliferated across all these apps, when in essence you are working with the same data in all of them: Projects your team works on; assignments of tasks to your team; prioritizing what your team works on within the projects; communication that is sensible - chat, Email, etc.; and so on, and so on.

Here’s an example: I played a good deal with a tool called Aha.io, even bought a license as there is no free version. This is basically another tool that is based on a db, but Aha is about Product Planning. It brought into light a lot of benefit my team could use with roadmaps, company vision, releases, etc… But in Aha, you plan projects and features, dev work, etc. just like in Jira. So now I see something like Aha and benefit for my team, but I’m left with a possible reality of having to manage yet another source of basically the same work, since the other tools I use don’t have what Aha offers, and I want that stuff that’s in Aha.

So I then would turn back to Coda - which I have in a state of perpetual “under consideration” - and try to solve this. In principle, I can do it: Create data structures to represent my products, but also sync with tasks already in Coda. In theory, problem solved - I have it all in one place.

But for me it breaks down with the “no-code” part. It is extremely challenging to get Coda set up. Most of what I read in this community, as innovative and intelligent as it is, is impossible for me to implement without bringing in my engineering team. Much of what Coda support suggest to me is over my head.

So I really look forward to further enhancements by the Coda team to get Coda into a true “no-code” reality. One where I could, for example, set up hierarchies without complex filters in the same table that require me to beware of circular references - Paul you did a good post on this. But I wonder - could Coda build in a native feature so that I could do that without your solution, which, with full respect, I do not consider “no-code”?

I believe the Coda team has in mind continued implementation of methods that will allow users like me - ie technical, but not developer - to do even more. And that was backed up by Maria and Shishir in the recent Webinar.

And as this evolution plays out, I can easily see Coda continuing to disrupt the all-in-one SMB tool space. And most importantly, letting me settle in using it, and ending my days of never-ending searching for a solution that works for my team!

2 Likes