Using Coda as backend, making your own front-end

I’m a UX designer. I love using Coda as my back-end to store all my data (tasks, projects, all the things), but I want to create my own unique interfaces—more than just the one UI that Coda provides.

Does anyone know how that might be possible? I know that AirTable allows you to display data inside Webflow, for example.

In general, I dream of a world (cue inspirational music) where data is more de-coupled from their presentation, so that we users can bring together data from many different sources and display it in dashboards and other UIs of our own creation. (eg, I use the split view of the Arc browser to show my Calendar from work and personal, alongside my Coda Daily Reminders dashboard, alongside my Workflowy Task list)

1 Like

Coda has an api like all other no-code tools. You can use any front-end you like.
I sometimes use it as a back-end and my front-end stack NuxtJs. It works very well.
You can connect it with reetool, weweeb etc …

3 Likes

I’ve been on a similar journey, and its definitely possible. What I did is use a free self-hosted version of n8n with a webhook start trigger that returns a Coda table.

Using ChatGPT you can easily build any UI that you like. Simply instruct it to call the webhook via javascript, and then instruct it to output the data in any frontend templating you’d like. Be it HTML, Vue or whatever.

Nice thing is that n8n, when selfhosted, has unlimited runs for your flows, unlike Zapier or Make. This makes it a great way to build your own Coda backend.

Connecting to the Coda API directly is not advisable, but using N8N, it’s save and easy.

I hope you figure it out :)!

1 Like