Want to pull a random result from a subset of a table

I know a post a similar topic related to meal planning, but I wasn’t able to follow enough of the setup to duplicated it in the fashion I need.

What I need is the ability to filter a table by a specific value in a specific column and then pull a random item only from the filtered table results.

Take this table on the shared page, for example

I’m trying to figure out how to pull a random item from this table where the “Role = Minion”, “Creature Type = Elemental”, or even “Role = Minion AND Creature Type =! Elemental”. Really advanced would be if I could do something with the logic of “give me a random row where Creature Type contains Elemental, Human, or Construct”

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Hi @C.R_Rowenson ,
good to have you back, it has been a while

You are almost there. What about this formula?

thisTable.Filter([Creature Type].Contains(Elemental,Human,Construct)).RandomItem()

Cheers, Christiaan

2 Likes

In order to keep your formula as simple as possible and for it to respect the filter bar, start by making a view of your table. Use your view of this table to get your random item:

Place something like the following formula on the canvas:

[View of Hostile NPCs - D&D 2].RandomItem().WithName(RI,Concatenate(RI.Name," ",RI.Role))

The part following RandomItem() is only to show the result respecting the Role filter.

1 Like

That helps a great deal! Is there any way I can set up a filter using the filter bar and then see the formula version of what the filter bar is doing? THat would be incredibly helpful for reverse-engineering formulas and replicating results in different ways. For example, I know how to use the bar for something like “Creature type is not Elemental” but I’m not sure how to do that with just a formula

You can build those formulas yourself, but I don’t think you can retrieve the formula that is used by the filter band.
So, in order to reverse-engineer what is going on, you have to build the formula yourself, like so:
[View of Hostile NPCs - D&D 2].Filter([Creature Type].Contains(Elemental).not()).RandomItem()

But perhaps I am misunderstand your question?

I am glad i could be of service, but like @joost_mineur , I don’t understand your question.

I think you got my meaning. Is there documentation or a walkthrough somewhere that goes over the advanced components of the formula like the “.not” and so on? What I’ve found so far has just been general formula information… but I may be going about it the wrong way.

Even if there’s not. Thank you. THis has been very helpful

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.