Ability to hide or unhide column on layout dependent upon setting

It would be nice if you could programmatically hide and unhide columns on a layout.

Example:
I’m trying to recreate a Quicken type register. I’ve got it mostly working but I’ve hit a snag with splits and transfers. I made a creative way to handle both but here’s the challenge. If an item has a column that indicates it is a split, I’d like to be able to see the split information when I open the record. However, if it isn’t a split, then I don’t want to see those fields as they can be confusing. Same thing with transfers. If an item is a transfer from one account to another, then I’d like to see the information for the transfer but if the item is not a transfer, then that information should be hidden during edit.

This could be a feature not just in layout of a table but could also be handy in the canvas itself. Right now I do have some items using IF statements and just using “” if I don’t want to see anything but that often leaves on the page which is annoying. I believe using " " removes the but it still leaves the little empty block. But…if one could set the attribute for the formula on the canvas to hidden then BOOM, little box wouldn’t show and the information would show if the if statement conditions were met.