Add support for button in card view

I just added a button that I would like to use in card view, but apparently buttons doesn’t work in card view.

12 Likes

Is this something you are looking at adding (or fixing since I consider it more of a bug than a new feature)?

2 Likes

Hi @Tomas_Jansson ,

Sorry for the delayed reply. We are aware that buttons don’t currently work in cards. Unfortunately, it’s not something we’re working on immediately. I’d love to hear more about your scenario though so we can keep it in mind when we address it in the future.

Preeyanka

I wanted to use the button as an “assign to me” button in an kanban board setup, to make it easy to take task with a simple click.

3 Likes

+1 on this request.

The card layout is the best way at attempting to make the data look less like a table, and the buttons are great at simplifying the interaction with the data.

This screenshot shows off the buttons in a table view:

And this screenshot shows off the same data in the Card view:

As you can see, the buttons do not render properly in the Card view, and the replacement text does not even use the button’s label.

2 Likes

+1 for fixing Buttons on Cards.

@preeyanka there are numerous use cases here, but fundamentally, if you’re putting a column on a table that has a button in it that does something useful, you’d want this button to also appear on the Card view (otherwise, you’d hide that column).

The current behavior, to me, is just exposing a bug in the Card View. It would be great if it could be fixed, so that buttons can be used in this view.

Thanks!

Yes please. Just because a button should work in every scenario.

3 Likes

I’ll add my voice to the choir for wanting buttons on cards. It would make cards view much more useful, and my guess is that activating button functionality in this view should be pretty simple.

1 Like

Recently tried Cards again, and after a while ended up with creating almost the same, but in Table mode, since so many things including Buttons, Checkboxes, or Scales just don’t work at all in this view.

2 Likes

I too want this to work, so that we can use card view for our tasks and click “move to current sprint” / “move to backlog” on the cards.

1 Like

Found the trick; take care though (watch the video)

@Stefan_Singer @Tomas_Bachtik @Jami_Haavisto @tomavatars @Thomas_Robbs1 @anon93523581 @Tomas_Jansson

6 Likes

+1 For Buttons on Cards
There are so many use cases for this. In tasks Kanban view, actions like ‘Assign to myself’, ‘Move to Tomorrow’, When tracking time for each task ‘start’, ‘stop’ and so many other use cases. I am currently using @Paul_Danyliuk trick, already crashed my test doc once :man_facepalming: (because I was careless while typing the formula)

1 Like

I haven’t watched the video yet, but I kind of feel like “tricks” that have the potential to “crash beyond recovery” seem completely counter to the spirit of Coda and the empowerment that it provides above and beyond what an average experience is in Google Docs.

“Tricks” aren’t for the average person, especially if they have the potential for crashing your doc if you don’t type a formula correctly.

Good to have a workaround though, but I think I’ll wait for a proper implementation of buttons on cards (or checkboxes, or scales).

1 Like

Of course you’re right. Always better to have this implemented and used properly.

That’s why I’m always warning people if the workaround is unsafe.

But I’m offering workarounds still, because some people would rather take the risk or have a half-baked solution than not have the feature at all.

It’s my secret power, to find workarounds and tricks in Coda for clients’ needs where there is no official solution yet. I am sharing these; but whether to use these or not is at everyone’s own discretion.

P.S. Also not really beyond recovery if you can implement some failsafe measures. The button with wrong / incompletely typed color will only crash the doc when Coda tries to render it. I.e. when it’s visible in a table. Meaning that if you have a section where the column with this button is hidden, you can open that section by direct URL and e.g. delete the table. Or implement a checkbox that would turn off the button (e.g. If([Failsafe on], "", Button(...)) to render blank when the checkbox is on), then delete the column.

2 Likes