@jerols I totally agree with a way to quickly add a card without opening dialog (Trello like). Clicking in an empty space in a column would be awesome!
Concerning the grouping, yes, I would totally like to be able to group on the side. But it would look more like this than the groups in table view (Expedite Lane / Main Lane) :
Favro is the best example of what I would love to do with Coda. The actual Tables in Coda correspond to the Favro Backlog, a table with every data you need, and the Card view is the workplace. Favro power comes from the ease of use and especially the UX. It is very fast and convenient to add cards, edit cards and drag and drop. Also, color coding is nice as well as the UI.
I would absolutely be delighted if Coda card view could be as well designed as Favro.
To answer your question, the benefits of a Card view instead of table view are :
- Quick editing (drag cards on the card view is easier than on the table view)
- Quick viewing (informations on a glance)
- Kanban workflow with Wip limits and specific columns to show/hide
- Cards are just nicer than rows in some cases
Along with my first statements in this topic, I have more suggestions and tweaks to ask :
- When I have a task field with a lot of text, the text is hidden in the card. I definitely need to have a way to see the whole text on the card, please.
- An easy way to add wip limits (quantity limit of cards in a column). I think I can find a way to make it with code, but I’ll get back to you if not.
- A great visualisation with nicer columns an headers, + button, add card button under last card…
- Add card on empty space click.