Addition of a Mind Map view

A mind map view would be awesome!

38 Likes

Completely agree sir

4 Likes

@Benoit_Mayer can you expand what you mean?

Coda currently has the Data Map pane that you can access by clicking the ā€œlinkā€ icon near the title of your table. It will show you which tables pull data from which. Super helpful for debugging and understanding the scope/centrality of your document if you have interlocking tables

1 Like

@chris_homburger the idea is to have a view similar to what you can do with tools like https://www.mindmeister.com/. Itā€™s just another way to present hierarchical data, but very powerful during brainstorming, planning or ideation activities.

5 Likes

Hi team!

If you are going to build something like this - I really hope it would be something more ā€˜concept mappingā€™/ā€˜graph dataā€™ oriented as opposed to strictly relational. Think KUMU.io, thebrain & draw.io over Mindmeister.

So much of the visual sensemaking and business design work that happens day to day really is distinctly not hierarchical in nature. Currently very few tools on the market do anywhere near a decent job of supporting the work itself - leaving thousands of strategists and designers like myself manually wrangling data and qualitative insight into static print oriented graphic design tools like Illustrator/indesign. We hold most of the real modelling in our heads and then describe multifaceted views of it to various stakeholders. If Coda were to reduce friction for this I have at least few hundred product evangelists I could personally mobilize.

N

11 Likes

Nate, I completely agree with you. But the option to make hierarchy is also great.

2 Likes

Hi mind map enthusiast,

This is the Zenkit approach, quite interesting :hot_pepper:

For development purposes being able to see the relations it would be very helpful :bulb:

Hopeful the developers will take a look and advise if something similar will be on the roadmap.

Amicable,
Jean Pierre

10 Likes

+1 on being able to convert sketchings into live data objects.

a) Visually organizing hierarchies in Coda would be great. I do this every single day, and every single tool that I have found for this task is inadequate.

b) It would be nice to be able to work in Coda at a schema level when defining the relationships between tables, when building out the schema.

And then be able to drill into or out of live tables. Mockup:

5 Likes

Iā€™d actually think this could be a cool ā€œpackā€ addition. My personal preference is Coggle, but I could see how multiple platforms could be integrated through packs.

4 Likes

I donā€™t agree with the pack. In order to fully replace Google documents, using only Coda, drawing and by extension mindmapping should be an internal feature.
As a game developer, I would love a feature like this as we need sketching for narrative design and game design.

8 Likes

Hello,

Thatā€™s a feature (or pack?) our company would like to get too when using Coda : the ability to create some mind maps.

Does Coda team has planned something about this ?

Thank you.

Kevin

3 Likes

There is a French Company who has made a perfect view of what Iā€™d love to see in the mind maps. Very functional! If you want to try the app out, itā€™s available from the Apple Store with a 14 day free trial. I love how you can see the dependencies.

https://eyen.fr/

6 Likes

Not really a mind map ā€” but a mind map is possible with Coda as well! You just have to build a better algo :slight_smile:

Greetings. This is also a huge one for me. @Paul_Danyliuk that is amazing what youā€™ve come up with, as I thought there was no way to even do anything close to linked rows right now in Coda. However, that is far over my head, and although I have a colleague whoā€™s a db expert working with me on my Coda set up, I think weā€™d get too bogged down trying to implement that as we have a lot of other configuration we are doing around Coda.

So Iā€™d like to simply add a vote and some reasoning behind getting this native into Coda. The links are all here thanks to lookups, etc., so all we need is a way to use some of the graphing capability to have some sort of image represent a row, and then have the links also on the map.

I have been searching far and wide for a tool that would allow me to represent my Software platform via a live diagram, based on features that I have in my system that my team is building real-time. Such diagrams are frequently built in things like LucidChart and Miro, but those are static and become almost instantly out-of-date as teams develop. We plan to use Coda on top of Jira to plan Product/Platform development, using ample linking to represent relationships between, for example, front end services, sections of web pages, servers, etc. If we had the ability to live generate diagrams of the nature of LucidChart or Miro - these are essentially versions of mindmaps - this would be a huge win for keeping track of our builds and documentation.

If there was simply an option in the ā€œGraphsā€ area of Coda to do this, it would be huge. Also, if you were able to have things like two links when they were actually present - so if you reference in a column two other rows, the diagram would show the one row reference two others - which could be useful to show userflow from a button you are building that has two options - youā€™d have even more capability.

Here are some examples of what I previous researched in other apps, but these were ultimately more limited than Coda. I think though it would be great to see the Coda MindMap follow the concepts illustrated by these:

And here is a sample diagram that I would hope to be able to ultimately produce with a tool like this inside Coda:

http://visualdataweb.de/webvowl/#

Thanks guys and I too really wish for this natively in Coda, as soon as possible!!

I have created this Pack request: ObservableHQ. With a good integration between Coda and Observable, we could extend Coda to include all kind of user generated visualisations, including Mind Map and without resorting to low level SVG trickery.

1 Like

As this continues to be one of my major asks in Coda, wanted to add a note for the Product Team vis a vis Mind Mapping/Visuals:

I copied, and was using @Paul_Danyliukā€™s excellent tool here:

And I could almost not stop myself from trying to go and drag-and-drop around the images, as if they were on a Kanban Board.

This got me to thinking that Coda already has the ability already to dynamically change relations with drag-and-drop, in board view for starters. So this builds my enthusiasm for the hope of simply adding in some additional graphing, and hopefully without much work a ā€œlive diagramā€ would be something we could see as a feature soon!

This would have great potential if you think about using this within Views. Views are already a great way to visualize sections of data in custom ways. If you could simply see, as an option in Graphs, ā€œrelation view,ā€ youā€™d have a super powerful feature here. Add the ability to move around the visualizations of the rows to change the relationships, and this is a great interactive tool that provides something you canā€™t get anywhere else!

Really would love to hear what you guys have in mind with Mind Maps and visuals of relations. I hope Paul has given you a good idea how you could build this.

2 Likes

Sorry for the proliferation, but just wanted to add that I 100% want to advocate, per @tomavatars point, that this really should be native in Coda, so much potential without forcing us into a pack!

Thanks again guys!

1 Like

Bumping up this!! Would really need a mind map view as well

1 Like

+1 Yes that would be awesome

Hi everyone, Iā€™m currently exploring the option of developing a mind map Pack. Iā€™d absolutely love to learn more and get into specific requirements. Please reply if any of you would be interested in a quick, few minute chat.

Thank you!!

3 Likes