AI to find similar data/thoughts

Hello!

I have a scenario where I ask for input from multiple people in different groups. Once everyone has their input entered in the table, the entire group votes on which thoughts they think are the most important. The input is anonymous, so it is likely, and happens, that more than one person will enter a similar thought. Since it is 2+ different people the same thought will not be phrased the same way, therefore hard to formulaically highlight similar thoughts within the table. I want to highlight the similar thoughts so when people go to vote, they vote on one thought and not multiple of the same thought.

My question is, with the new AI integration, do you think there would be a way to add in a conditional format, or another method, to automatically highlight similar thoughts within a table using AI? If so, how would you go about doing that?

1 Like

Hey @Julie_Duggins2 thanks for reaching out! Love this idea.

AI doesn’t easily add conditional formatting, but I think there are definitely ways to get some sort of visualization of similar ideas. Here are a couple of things I tried in my own testing that seemed alright for this:

• I have a base table with a list of ideas. I then prompted AI to create a table that looks at that base table and highlights similar ideas. This grouped the ideas into different categories, and listed the values that were similar within those groups.
  • I prompted AI to create a summary of that base table, and point out the similar ideas.

I’m sure there are other ways to achieve this, but those seemed to be decent solutions after a quick bit of testing :smile:

Thanks, Jasmine!

Is the new table that is created a line-by-line replica of the original table? Would you be able to share what you did? I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around how your solution is works (obviously).

Hey @Julie_Duggins2 it’s not a replica, no, but a unique table. Here is the base table I’m using as my list of ideas (keep in mind this is also a super basic example!):

And here are a few prompts I tried:

Prompt A - Make a table of Ideas… that finds similar ideas from the Idea 1 column
That made a table that looked like this:

Prompt B - Make a table of Ideas… that groups similar ideas
That made a table like this:

I also tried a summary, using the prompt: Summarize Ideas… and find ideas that are similar
This was the output:

There are definitely more things to try out here, but those are a few examples of things I tried. I don’t think any are totally perfect and not as visual as your original idea of conditional formatting, but hopefully those get some ideas going for you to try out :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, I see. Okay let me give it a go and see what I can come up with.

Super-helpful! Thanks, Jasmine!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.