Allow reordering of rows in "detail view" table

In detail view, I’d like to be able to reorder the rows for a lookup column being displayed as a table.

If the corresponding column is set to sort on “table order” I’d assume that it would reorder the rows in the source table (in the same way that rows would be reordered in a filtered view). It’s worth noting that even when the column sort is set to “custom sort” I’m not able to re-order the rows.

Shared with CloudApp

Hi @MrChrisRodriguez :slight_smile:
So basically that table is a cell that contain a formula like “table1” and it is showed as a table in a detail view
I have many setup like that and if i need a specific order i just use “table1.sort(desired sorting)” and it work, can you share a dummy doc? So i can look at it :slight_smile:

Hey Mario – thanks for the reply. I understand that, but it’s effectively a derived filtered view of an existing table. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s how it was represented under the hood (i.e. a lookup column displayed in detail view is just a table view filtered with a formula).

In the same way that I can have a filtered view table at the top level and reorder the items (instead of applying a sort), I’d like to be able to manually define a sort in the table view created created for a lookup column in table view.

Maybe i have an idea of why this strange behaviour happens
I think that the original table, when “recalled” with a formula is loaded as “complete table”, let me give you an example
If i have my original table (let’s call it table1) in page1 and in that page i filter it to show just some part of the table(some rows), when i create a view of that table in page2 what i get is a table identical to the original table unfiltered, so for example filter doesn’t apply in views, maybe the same behaviour take place with Sort()

To be honest i’m super curious to dig into this but i need a “dummy copy” of your doc, one that does not contain sensitive data that i can experiment with :slight_smile:

Could you share one? :slight_smile:

P.s. i’m not 100% sure i’ve got your situation right, maybe you was looking for a way to manually reorder the original table (table1) and find the same order in every lookup/view, in this case i would not use a “manual sorting” like moving row up and down but i would prefer to create another column with values like “1”,“2”,“3” ecc and sort that table based on this new column, but a sample doc will resolve all the dubts :slight_smile:

Hi @MrChrisRodriguez,

You right that this is not available currently. Part of the reason is that this is essentially a formula column displayed as a table, so it’s not 100% a view in how it works. It’s also a little caught in the middle of some layout work being done to make forms possible, so some options look to be showing that aren’t actually usable at the moment, like sort and filter.

This is a great suggestion though!

1 Like

I’ve stumbled across this post with the same problem - I don’t suppose there’s now a fix for this?

Hello @BenLee, Happy New Year! Will the new editor’s Canvas column help with this in some way? I suppose not as if we put a view inside the column, there is no way to programmatically set the view’s filter to only show elements that should correspond to the current parent row detail. Unless there is a way to reference the current row from the canvas’s view table filter formula.

You’re totally right on this and it’s something that we’ve been researching and working on solving along with the canvas column type work. So the answer for now is not right now, but we hope to have this as a possibility for this feature.

3 Likes

I run into this all the time and for me the issue is new items I add to the nested table appear at the top of the nested table and not the bottom like other tables.

One solution to this particular issue is to create a hidden column that contains the “visual position” of a row within the source table. On the nested view you sort the table by this new column and the items will be in the correct order (as they appear on the source table).

Step by step:

1. Add a hidden column to your source table you are trying to embed. (Let’s call this table “SourceTable”.)
  2. Set the value of this new column to the formula:
SourceTable.Find(thisRow)
  1. In your Layout containing the nested table, update the sorting to use this new visual position column and your nested table’s sort will always mirror the source tables sort.
1 Like

Hi @BenLee
Any news on this topic?
I have a two way relation set up between parent task (original) and child tasks (formulaic).
I can’t reorder the child rows in the detail view of the parent task, even though they are not automatically sorted by any rule.

Built this concise demo doc, with the intent to post here, before searching :man_facepalming:

FWIW, I would love support for this feature. From a data structure perspective, my proposal would be that manipulating the order in the detail view’s embedded table, reorders the rows in the source table.

I know there’s some ambiguity introduced when you’re only viewing a subset of the original table (I see rows 1, 4, and 7 in the detail view; I move 1 after 4; in the original table, should it go before or after 5 and 6?). However, this is the same ambiguity that’s present when reordering within the parent table while grouped.

1 Like

They’ve done it! Thanks Coda!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.