Analyze the columns in your Coda doc!

Hi everyone!
I’ve noticed that there’s a missing element when it comes to visualizing column formulas in a doc.

Especially when there are numerous interconnected columns, I often find myself clicking delete on a column simply to figure out

What is this column even connected to? Oh, right!

This solo project of mine has turned out to be incredibly useful, and I’m excited to share it with you!

You can check it out here: Coda Analyzer

8 Likes

this is really cool Rickard!

1 Like

Oh cool, beat me to it.

I wanted to make an advanced analyzer too, but beyond just the graph of dependent columns. I can decode raw doc data and out of it I could render a full audit of the doc, performance and size wise too.

Too bad there’s just 24 hours in a day and only so much energy to work on everything. Sorta need to prioritize. Curious to see how in demand your offer will be :slightly_smiling_face:

Cool! What do you mean by raw doc data? The audit sounds similar to @Scott_Collier-Weir’s pack: Doc Explorer Pack, extend Coda with Doc Explorer | Coda :slight_smile:

Haha yeah there are so many things to do, I was close to spending a lot of more time on this but I pushed myself to release this as an MVP just to see if there was any interest. I’m pretty happy about that because I’ve made exactly 0 sales on this one :sweat_smile:

The current functionality could be delivered as a pack, my future ideas for this project however could not be served through a pack, which is why I decided to go this route - I’m excited to see what you come up with if you decide to tackle this yourself

That pack only surfaces what’s available through the Coda API. By raw data I mean I can work directly with the JSON/codabuf files and read e.g. how much space exactly each row and column takes (to quickly identify doc bloat issues without having to nag the Coda support), read system tables and columns, identify data leaks in published forms, read the true dependency graph to identify performance bottlenecks (although, I’ve seen it’s there but I haven’t yet examined it) and so on. Many ideas from the many use cases I’ve experienced with clients who were pushing Coda to the edge.

Oh awesome! Did you figure out how to auth or are you relying on the Anyone with link: Can view?

You can share a doc with a designated account, which my backend worker is authed into.

1 Like