Are there plans to improve mobile

Been using Coda for a few months now and absolutely love it. I’ve organized my entire company and my personal life in it. My company doc is large - lots of pages, objects, buttons, etc. But my personal doc is pretty small.

However both are incredibly unstable on iOS. Whenever I start editing, the app frequently crashes. I have also tried making shortcuts to Safari and that is also unstable.

Are there plans to improve this performance on mobile? It looks like these issues go way back since mobile was launched and there are lots of bad reviews in the App Store. I love Coda, but my company is complaining about the instability.

13 Likes

I agree with @Corey_Helton and I would like to add that I find editing on Android not a real feast either. Using the docs as an app (mostly using buttons) works really good, but editing a checklist can already become a little disaster, in particular if you try to ‘fix’ layout type things.

I am not sure if this is just me, but I find coda on it’s best on a computer/laptop for design and editing and useful on mobile to lookup things and/or make very small notes if you design your pages just right.

But, to be honest, if you keep reworking your ‘app’, most things can be made really useful.

Sadly, you’re not the only one :roll_eyes: .
To be honest, I almost never use the app’… Except if it’s just to consult a thing or two…

If I really need to make a quick modification but my laptop is too far away (and I’m too tired or too lazy to go back there :yum: ) I simply use Chrome on my iPad (as it follows me everywhere) … It doesn’t replace the “laptop/computer” feeling but I still can do more than by using the app :roll_eyes: .

I really hope though that the app’ will get better at some point :crossed_fingers: .

1 Like

I can only agree. I just switched to Coda from Notion. For the most part I like Coda over Notion (that’s why I switched) but Notion has a much better mobile app. I would really like to see better performance, reliability and usability!

9 Likes

Notion has a much better mobile app

This is true, and especially depressing since Notion’s app itself is quite lacking, to say the least.

2 Likes

I keep asking for bug fixes and more attention for the mobile experience and I am totally ignored. Now, at least for me, on mobile:

• The text imput control is not showing up the keyboard.
  • The dark mode shows white bars on top and bottom of full screen phones.
  • The app takes a bit of time to load.
  • Tables have an inconsistent way to show column infos.

This is just bugs, but for a truly worth mobile experience, there are a lot more things to do.

For a platform that claims “a doc that works as an app”, it’s far from that accomplishment.

I would like to be heard about this issue @shishir

4 Likes

Also agree. Came here to see if others were not able to use the keyboard / text inputs on mobile.

I have built a complex personal system and corporate one, but thinking I may have to switch back to Roam or WorkFlowy since creating a new todo or note is basically not possible in the app right now.

Additionally the overall stability and performance are poor : ( Love coda but this is a major problem.

Hi Philip! I also had this problem, but for me the problem was solved. I suggest reaching out the support or taking another look to the app to see if it’s fixed or not. But I do agree, the app stability is terrible, writing simple notes or todos there are a painfull process.

I must agree with all the above. I LOVE Coda and I am migrating all my Excel and G-Sheets assets over as quickly as I can - and my clients are loving it too. Except those that use smartphones.

I’ve been designing mobile apps since long before iPhone and Android (remember XDA or Blackberry?)

And a key design principal for the smaller screen is “use scarce screen real-estate very carefully”.

The Coda mobile app wastes far too much space . I can only get 6 or 7 items on the screen with most layouts.

What’s needed are smaller fonts, smaller gaps between lines, less blank space padding and NOT defaulting to using space-wasteful CARD views by default.

I suggest that Codians be asked to close their laptops and switch off their super-sized high-res monitors for a few days a month and work exclusively on tablets and mobile phones. It’s a great way to get software engineers to ‘taste the soup’ and see the torture they are inflicting on poor mobile users! They will then raise lots of bugs and add tons of stories to the mobile backlog.

Almost none of my younger exec clients use laptops (not even macs) and expect EVERYTHING to work wonderfully on a smartphone! (So I have written my own app that opens their Coda docs inside a Webgl view set to emulate a desktop chrome browser, so they get a ‘desktop-like’ experience.)

As said above; your motto “docs that work like apps” is a great vision, but I find the product biased to the big-screen world and not the “everything is an app” world that is the real future for this concept.

I am delighted with everything that Coda has put into its product. And I understand (suspect) that the mobile use-case is not top-priority, there are hundreds of stories in the backlog ahead of all this.

But in my experience at the coal-face; the early adaptors, creative economy start-up wizards and alpha-geeks who will be the key drivers for tools like Coda , don’t want to be tied to desktops, laptops, macs and monitors. They want everything to be “on the cloud and in their palms”.

Respect
Max

8 Likes

In case anyone is interested…

1 Like