Better way to handle branching logic with buttons?

Hi all,

Wondering if the community had any good solutions to buttons that provide the user with a choice.
Normally, this is handled in a UI by popping up a Modal that says something like “Are you sure you want to delete this?” or “Where do you want to save this?”

For my use case, this is something like “What kind of entity would you like to create and link to this object” or “What is the reason for the Closed-Loss?”

Right now, I have been handling this by having a button that 1) Assigns the row that triggered the button push to a value in a Variable Table and then 2) opens a generic and unchanging Canvas row that then looks up the value set in A. But this is… not terribly efficient or elegant.

Anyone else cleverer than me managing this in a different way?

Thanks!

Hey there,

I think the way you have it is the best way to do this… for now. I can file a feature request for you though so we can get it on our teams radar. If you wouldn’t mind answering the questions below.

• What value does this new feature unlock? What does this help you accomplish?
  • On a scale of 1 to 4 (1 = nice to have, 4 = absolutely must have), how badly would you say you need this feature?

Thanks Alison! and sure thing

• For me, the greatest thing about Coda has been its ability to facilitate semi-automated, semi-human workflows with ease. triggered “ask-for-input” modals would allow Coda to help guide the process around decision points, rather than just decisions.
  • I’d call this a 2.5, seeing as how there is a workaround, but it’s relatively futzy.

Perfect, we’ve got this filed and you’re good to go!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.