Calling API into Coda Table

Hi All,

Usually I can find an aswer for what I need by searching the community…and to some degree I have found solutions to my questions but not in the most ideal way. So I please call upon the community to help me out with the following;

I use Veryfi to automate the extraction of bills i receive because, as a residential developer, up to date project costing is crucial. Veryfi is a shockingly amazing little-known company (I highly suggest them for anyone who is searching for an automated way to extract document data, I have 100 line item invoices and its always accurate in caputring the data). for instance, services like zapier and make don’t even have veryfi as an integration.

So to avoid having to download the data from veryfi and uploading into coda - I am looking for a way to call the verfyi API from coda. From what I have gathered I am left with these impressions:

• I can’t call any API from coda, unless in the form of a pack?
  • Google scripts can be used as the mechanism to call the veryfi API and place the data into a table in coda? (would postman work also?)

Now, lets say either of these would accomplish my goal: my code knowledge is self taught and from my prior finance career - but purely in formula M and Dax. I know how to make the API call i need from veryfi , but I’m unaware of how I then appropriate that data into a coda table.

Below is the json response from making a GET call for line items from the veryfi API - I just put the resposne for a single line item.

{
“line_items”: [
{
“category”: "Job Supplies”,
“date”: “”,
“description”: "C8R113BD COIL 8D RING .113 2.7M”,
“discount”: 0,
“discount_rate”: 0,
“end_date”: “”,
“full_description”: "9 EA C8R113BD\tC8R113BD COIL 8D RING .113 2.7M\t9\t33.19 /EA\t298.71 N”,
“hsn”: “”,
“id”: 249513534,
“order”: 36,
“price”: 33.19,
“quantity”: 9,
“reference”: “”,
“section”: “”,
“sku”: “C8R113BD”,
“start_date”: “”,
“tax”: 0,
“tax_rate”: 0,
“text”: "9 EA C8R113BD\tC8R113BD COIL 8D RING .113 2.7M\t9\t33.19 /EA\t298.71 N”,
“total”: 298.71,
“type”: “product”,
“unit_of_measure”: “EA”,
“upc”: “”,
“weight”: “”
},

Thanks in advance - best community in the :earth_americas:

Hey!

While there are many ways to do what you are looking for, a pack is your best bet (and honestly not too hard to spin up!)

You can definitely build it on your own (and enter the Packathon while you are at it)

Or hire someone to build it out quickly for you. Likely, the price to build a pack like that would be decently low assuming it wouldn’t require dynamic sync tables.

Likely you would want to create a button that calls the api and returns the result into another column

Or even make yourself a sync table!

I’ve built close to 20 packs myself now and am happy to help however I can!

4 Likes

I like the button Idea a lot… I’m going to try that for sure… much more comfortable with that… I appreciate the answer @Scott_Collier-Weir

You got it! There are TONS of pack resources that show examples and you could likely whip one up pretty fast!

Yeah I took about 30 mins until I realized what this took haha - I usually rely on Make for all of my API requests…but can’t in this situation…so my only two options are pay someone to make a pack for me or learn to do it myself? Do you know what the going rate is for a simple pack like the one I would need?

I can make it for you! I’ve made simple reliable packs in 30 minutes (which of course if yours was one of these, the cost would be cheap)

Then there are more complex packs like Jotform that I’ve been working on for monthhhhs.

It sounds like yours is simply calling an API, returning the JSON object above, and then what info do you want out of that json object to be reflected in your doc?

How often do you need to call the API? Would a sync table be better?

It all comes down to a lot of things, but likely wouldn’t be a huge lift.

Feel free to email me at Scott@simpladocs.com if you want to chat further

1 Like

Hey Scott, I’d be happy to pay you to make this pack. You seem busy so its understandable if you are at max capacity at the moment.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.