Can tables be searched on the Mobile app?

Is it possible to search in the mobile app? I’m using the latest on iOS, and I have a large Inventory table I’d like to be able to search through.

1 Like

Hi Scott. I can’t figure this out either. Did you find a way to Search a table on the Coda iOS mobile app?

Hey @Amy_Turner! This sounds like a feature request the Coda team has been tracking. That said, I have moved this post into the Suggestion Box for other members of the Community to chime in on this. I have also formally added each of your votes to your internal tracker. Sorry for any inconvenience in the meantime!

Thank you, Shaina! Appreciated.

Can’t you use the search icon that appears to the right of the table title when you open the table on mobile.
Sorry I couldn’t demonstrate with an image. I’m trying to upload an image but for some reason I’m getting an error.

Hello @Scott_Stubblefield

Yes you can, and there are many ways to do that - I use it every day. You have to build the search capability yourself, but it can be really simple.

The easiest way is to right click on a column, click on filter and choose one of the options Add personal filter or canvas filter:

By using these options Coda builds the filters for you and initially you can use them without interfering the view of other users. Coda builds the right formulas automatically and this will help you to eventually build your own very specific filters.

You have to set this up on your computer, but when done, it’s available on mobile (IOS or Android).

When you understand how this works, you can start building your own very specific filters by using single select controls, text boxes, checkboxes and probably a few more - Coda is very flexible.

Sometimes you might not know what column is going to hold what you are looking for. For that purpose I add an extra column, put a formula in the column to add the contents of other columns like so: concatenate(column 1, column 2, column 3, … ) and I add a control to search that column. You can hide this special column and the search control will still work.

I usually build my search controls from scratch, but the logic is the same.

If you need help, publish a dummy doc with some sample data and we can show you some different solutions in your own doc.

5 Likes

Hello @joost_mineur : I’d be interested in learning more about this way of creating your own search capability. Could you share a sample notebook/more information about this?
Thanks!

Hello @Gabriel_Hollander ,
If you build a sample doc with data representative to your interest, indicate what or how you would like to find it, I will add some search methods. I don’t use extra columns anymore, the concatenate is now inside the filter formula. Which method is most efficient might depend on the number of rows, but my tables are pretty big and the method I use now works fine.

So, go ahead and build and share something and I will show you a couple of these tricks. If you don’t know how to set the proper share settings, you can start with just sharing with me and I will set it up so that others can see and copy the sample doc.

Greetings, Joost

Thanks @joost_mineur for your fast answer.
Here’s the link to a sample doc with some data in a table. I’ve also created a second page in this doc in order to link (and filter) to the data of the Sample data page.

Happy to hear your thoughts about how to make best use of search methods. Many thanks in advance for your help!
Best,
Gabriel