Canvas Column referencing parent table

Hi all, I’m experimenting with the canvas column. I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way for tables within a canvas column to reference other columns within the table they are contained via something like the “thisrow” functionality. So if I have 3 columns, 1 is canvas and 1 is a select list, can I draw the results of the select list into a table nested within the canvas column in a systematic way?

Hi @Tim_Richardson1 :blush: !

As far as my tests go, there’s not much “systematic” with Canvas Columns (yet :thinking:) .

The canvases you create within a Canvas Column are brand new canvases simply stored within a column (instead of its own page/subpage).
They don’t interact in any way with the row of the “parent” table where they are created.
You can access datas from the “parent” table like you would normally do on the canvas of a page/subpage or with a simple table, but there’s no thisRow.[Parent Table] :innocent: .

To gather the datas from your table to the nested ones, you’ll probably need to find a way to send those datas to the nested ones using some filter, a lookup in the nested tables… or using button, automation potentially (I didn’t try that yet :innocent: )… But then, if each canvas in the canvas column contain one table, it means that you’ll need to adapt the formula/filter/lookup/button… per table within the canvas column :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Well, it’s “coming soon”

6 Likes

Ahahah :sweat_smile: !

I looked at that email just 2 days ago (for the templates) and completely missed that line :woman_facepalming: :sweat_smile: .

Thank you @Paul_Danyliuk for the reminder :raised_hands: !

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.