Character(10) issue

Recently I had an issue with an automation and had to rewrite it. I kept everything the same but the formatting has suddenly changed in my “send gmail” step so that now the “character(10)” is not just starting a new line but also adding a line in between so it looks double spaced. I can’t figure out why it’s happening or how to fix it. It’s not a big deal, but it’s bothering me since it doesn’t look as clean. Anyone know how to fix it?

The body of the email is:

Concatenate( "Name: ", thisRow.[Step 1 Result].[First Name],
" ", thisRow.[Step 1 Result].[Last Name], Character(10), "OSIS: ", thisRow.[Step 1 Result].ID, Character(10), "DOE: ", thisRow [Step 1 Result].[Test Date], Character(10), “Finalized:”, Today(), Character(10), "Recommendation: ",
thisRow.[Step 1 Result].Recommending

1 Like

hi @Joanna_Lamb ,

It happens indeed that we notice changes in our docs we did not expect and on top have unintended outcomes.

In this case you might consider to replace Character(10) with LineBreak()

or you can try Join(LineBreak())

Hope it helps a bit, Cheers, Christiaan

3 Likes

@Joanna_Lamb, I’m having the same issue as you. My Gmail messages are now double-spaced.

@Christiaan_Huizer, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, for me:

• LineBreak() is being treated in exactly the same way as Character(10) (i.e. double line break), and
  • Join(LineBreak()) is being ignored (i.e. no character space or line break)

Any other ideas?

1 Like

hi @Andrew_Davis2, I am sorry to say but I don’t have a clue.
I my own docs I notice behavior that looks a bit like this (in the context of a Format() ) I cannot solve right now. As you noticed Coda is updating a lot, so it might be temp that we face these inconviences.
cheers, Christiaan

1 Like

No problem @Christiaan_Huizer. Thanks for the suggestions.

Kind regards, Andrew

1 Like

I have a feeling that the behavior may depend on whether the text is plain or rich (formatted) text. Need to experiment with those. It could be the way email text is composed, but it also could be some quirk of the Concatenate() function, too.

1 Like

Hi @Joanna_Lamb, are you able to share a screenshot of some actual content in the cells where this happens? Do any of the cells have a paragraph style other text, or aren’t left-aligned?

A screenshot of the matching result of that formula, or how it looks in the email, would also be helpful.

If you’re not able to share actual content, it’d be helpful if you can create a row with fake data to illustrate it. Also feel free to share in a private message if you’re not comfortable posting the content here. Thanks!

3 Likes

Hey, @nathan .Could you please take a look at this post below. It’s not the same issue but it is something that was working before and not working now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.